Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 35,916 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am in need of help to write a resume. I don't know how to write one.

How is it to be structured and what do I have to put in it? What infos are relevant?

Y'all must know, I grew up in Germany. Therefore I know how to write a resume in German standards, but I don't know the American standards.

I gladly appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 PM

77 posts, read 204,615 times
Hallo,
Wie gehts?

I'm not very experienced - In fact I'm a new guy starting out fresh with a job, but I did interview with many firms [ and I did manage to get a job!], so here's my input :

Make sure its a one page resume unless you're an academic.
Ideally it should contain the following headings:
Your name on the top, followed by your address below it.
An objective, followed by your education, followed by your experience, followed by your skills, and lastly any additional stuff you would like to add [ Awards, Affiliations, etc] . Note, these are all headings!
Make sure there's not too much information, and try to make the design as clean as possible!

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Do I have to write that in form of a letter?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 30,150 times
Default Resume

Your best bet is to google resume format. It will probably give you the format also type free

Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Ok, I've found out, there is a cover letter and a resume.
What do I have to add to an application? Cover letter, or resume, or both?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,877,021 times
Here's a decent place to start- Careerbuilder.com if you don't want to pay a professional writer. Be sure to look at the before and after examples.

And, yes, you should include both a cover letter and a resume.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM

43 posts, read 154,613 times
A resume and cover letter are generally used to submit your candidacy for different openings. Submitting your candidacy is not the same as applying for a position. I know that seems to be a matter of symantics but the distinction has to do with federal guidelines re: how long companies must keep applications. Generally speaking companies will invite you to apply for an opening once they are interested in your candidacy.

So to answer your question about attaching your resume and cover letter to your application, Take it on a case by case basis and do what the application asks.

Re: how to write a resume. It's not simply a matter of filling out a template. You want to make your resume easy to scan for both humans (by using bullet points and plenty of white space) and computers (by making it keyword rich). You also need to sell the reader on your capabilities by linking your responsibilities and accomplishments in at features/benefits format.

Here are more tips on how to write a resume Write a Resume That Gets the Interview - 7 Characteristics to Include (http://ezinearticles.com/?Write-a-Resume-That-Gets-the-Interview---7-Characteristics-to-Include&id=1724570 - broken link)

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search