U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM

32 posts, read 169,407 times

Advertisements

The news is full of stories about the bad economy but every day I see the roads jammed with traffic and people going to work. I suspect that for everyone who is unemployed or working at a company that is laying people off, there are 10 others who are doing very well, adding staff and giving raises.

Does anyone have any good news at your employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,761,570 times
I agree the roads are busy whenever we are anywhere.

I hardly drive for the sake of it (being unemployed I don't like to waste gas just driving around). I know I try to incorporate our errands at the same time so we don't waste fuel.

I also don't see the fast food places suffering. We wound up in Wendy's the other day (very rare) and it was packed.

I read somewhere fast food places are doing okay.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

710 posts, read 1,745,225 times
Well, I have been thinking a lot about that lately. Recently, my employer had this terrible fiscal year--I think it ended in June 2008. Someone missed a filing deadline and it cost the company $6 million dollars. We had all sorts of cost cutting measures that year--hiring freezes, no travel, reduction in hours, no overtime, etc. Some of that seems to have carried through, as we all got used to it. We also completed a huge expansion last month. Their last resort was layoffs and fortunately it did not come to that.

Now, as we are more than half a year into the new "non-crisis" year, we seem to be incredibly busy. Our particular department was slow for over a year (unrelated to the fiscal crisis) and now we cannot keep up with the volume and have two positions open that we are having trouble filling. I logged more than 12 hours of OT in my last pay period, and I could have done more had I wanted to--my normal work week is only a 36-hour week; I am only counting the hours over 40 in my 12 hour estimate above.

I don't expect it to last forever, but I have to say I have also seen what the company does when it has a pretty big financial situation on its hands, and so hopefully if and when things slow down again, it will be a relatively painless matter of reduced hours and not layoffs. Regardless, I have grown to appreciate this simple little job of mine and that dates back to before this daily bombardment of horrific job news. I am hoping I've positioned myself to be able to survive layoffs--right now it's not in the immediate future, but one never knows. My job is one that has typically been outsourced in the past, so that possibility does loom large--I have also taken the steps within my power to try to minimize that possibility as well, having recently been promoted to a QA (quality assurance) role in my department. The other ladies may not have really liked the new normal I have instituted, but my hope is that we will all be stronger for it.

Anyway, longwinded answer to your question--and your question is one that I've been pondering recently myself, so thanks for asking. Sometimes a little positive news can really help with the jitters, even if it comes from a total stranger.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,592,410 times
My company is still hiring. At the end of the year, it was announced that we are planning a 10% growth in staff. We're actually having a hard time trying to fill a position in my department, but it requires a rather specific skill. We are in a suburb of Charlotte and is quite a bit of a drive so not too many people who would have had the qualifications even know these positions exist nor would like to do the drive. Getting increases or bonuses may be another story though. We're supposed to attend workshops to orient us to the new performance review process with the parent company. I'm hoping that they also align our salary structure with the parent, as I have a feeling that it is a little bit higher in terms of scale.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,666,512 times
My company is still hiring. We fired a couple hundred top level workers (making good money). They're being replaced by lower paying workers and of course the minimum wage + 10% working class.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 PM

5,641 posts, read 17,313,791 times
I have seen hiring signs at several distribution trucking hubs around here.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 PM

319 posts, read 1,754,252 times
My company is hiring. We've really switched gears this last year to hit the market right for this economic time. Almost doubled in size last year and opened a couple international offices too. I actually haven't been too scared of being laid off because I keep hearing about more and more work coming in the door for us (consulting) and us having to hire people with certain skill sets.

I probably know a dozen people right now who are laid off though...I really got lucky and got into a job after graduating Spring '08...graduating this semester would be brutal.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM

30 posts, read 63,300 times
I believe my job is pretty secure. Espically when people are not buying new cars anymore and keeping their old cars. They are going to have to come to us for parts to keep them running.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:44 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,907,225 times
My co had a restructuring last year. A number of big wigs at the top of the food chain moved on. I'm on the other end of that chain and feel my job is pretty secure. I suppose the US sites could be shut down all together, but providing that doesn't happen, pharma needs scientists, and entry level scientists don't really cost that much. One of our small divisions was canned. They let the lab mgr go and the bench scientists were offered positions in a new division. I still worry though. The thought of losing my job scares the willies out of me.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,571,287 times
I work as a non-commissioned (civilian) employee for a fairly large police department. Law enforcement is an area where business is really booming, and there are many jobs out there besides being a police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or