U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times

Advertisements

Since it's winter time, I don't have a long coat to cover over a suit just a leather jacket that I would wear to work everyday during the winter with my shirt and tie. So it's not warm enough for me to wear the suit by itself and I don't have anything to wear over it.

what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,758,217 times
Can you wear the jacket up to the door, then take it off and fold it over your arm? This way you don't freeze but then again, you won't look odd.

Other options--go to Goodwill or Thrift Store for a cheap coat or rent/borrow one from a friend.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:03 PM

15,483 posts, read 7,504,260 times
Lots of stores are having sales on coats this time of year and there are some good deals.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM

2,755 posts, read 5,321,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Other options--go to Goodwill or Thrift Store for a cheap coat or rent/borrow one from a friend.
Definitely a better option if you can borrow. You could also buy a decent one from Goodwill, SA, etc and get it drycleaned. Either way, I would highly advise against wearing a short leather jacket with a suit. While it may seem small and trivial, you don't know who is watching you and you don't want to lose an opportunity over a percieved fashion faux paus.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Definitely a better option if you can borrow. You could also buy a decent one from Goodwill, SA, etc and get it drycleaned. Either way, I would highly advise against wearing a short leather jacket with a suit. While it may seem small and trivial, you don't know who is watching you and you don't want to lose an opportunity over a percieved fashion faux paus.

well i didn't plan to wear a leather jacket with a suit, i was going to wear the leather jacket with the white shirt and tie and black dress pants.

the problem I had was the coat

Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,211,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Then again if you're living in a place like Chicago that has about a foot of snow on the ground that isn't going anywhere, and an employer has a problem with winter attire, then the job probably isn't worth it.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Then again if you're living in a place like Chicago that has about a foot of snow on the ground that isn't going anywhere, and an employer has a problem with winter attire, then the job probably isn't worth it.

looks like i have no choice but to go ahead and buy one with the little money I have

Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,377,322 times
Not necessarily. Go to any good clothing store and see if you can rent one, like seniors rent a tux.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Not necessarily. Go to any good clothing store and see if you can rent one, like seniors rent a tux.

No point in renting since they are about to get rid of all of the top coats and put the spring stuff in. That's why I called the store and asked do i still have time to buy one and he said he but not after january.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM

277 posts, read 400,676 times
i would either try and find one from a thrift store of from a friend or freeze. thats a toughie. who wants to spend 100 on a coat when you are looking for a job and do not have that much money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or