Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
OP - here's a reality check: you need a job more than they need you....there's probably a long line for that one job. You seriously need to ask yourself what it is you have to offer that other candidates don't and start from there. If you come to the realization that there is no distinction, then fall in line like everyone else.

It's okay to be annoyed when one's schedule gets rearranged. What does not sit well with all of us here is that you called the person unprofessional for calling probably before her own regular working hours to give you the COURTESY of a call and then re-schedule you. And then to tell us here it was a health emergency. And then, to ask whether you should go at all, like you're the ONLY qualified candidate they can call in. And then to even posture she may have over-partied because it was SB Sunday!!!!

Do you see how silly your whole argument was for even posting your question? In these economic times? And the reasons you gave for being annoyed...you bought a $100 suit, you don't have a cell phone (BTW, ever heard of the prepaid ones aka pay-as-you-go plans?), you would have done a 2-hour drive, etc. etc., all made worse by your other threads about going for a job without experience because it involves pulic speaking. Making a presentation as a trainer to trainees is NOT public speaking, okay? That IS the job!

It was a $100 Top Coat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

It was a $100 Top Coat
I know it bites, dude! I've bought $300 interview suits, flew to an interview (unreimbursed), but I did get the job. Some things are worth the investment.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:

It was a $100 Top Coat
I think you should ask the hiring manager tomorrow to reimburse you for the $100 if you don't get the job. Personally, I think it's the only right thing to do.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
I honestly didn't think stuff like this could happen. I remember 3 years ago I had a interview and told the recetionist I was there to see the person and then the receptionist went to get the person and came back to ask me-"She wanted me to tell you she is really tied up in meetings and would you be able to come back tomorrow?

My answer-"probably not"
Now that scenario might qualify as a "deal breaker", but not the one in the OP.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
I think you dont want the job, so its already in your mind , I think you should go and do your best. Cant be a tv watcher and sports guy your whole full time life! Go, go with an open mind, do your best, it just may turn out to be the best job you ever had!!! Now stop being so angry and just go and let us know how it went. Good luck !

Old 02-02-2009, 02:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:

It was a $100 Top Coat
What's a top coat? See, when I get my nails done they put a top coat over the polish. To me, that's what a top coat is. But what do I know - I live in CA where it's warm and sunny. Maybe a top coat is something else we don't use here - like galoshes!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I think you should ask the hiring manager tomorrow to reimburse you for the $100 if you don't get the job. Personally, I think it's the only right thing to do.

no the top coat is something i didn't have so I do need it for the future, i'm just saying i miht as well go and get some use out of it now because i may not have another job interview while the weather is still cold.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
What's a top coat? See, when I get my nails done they put a top coat over the polish. To me, that's what a top coat is. But what do I know - I live in CA where it's warm and sunny. Maybe a top coat is something else we don't use here - like galoshes!

a top coat is the long trench type coat that goes over a suit in the winter time.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I think the OP is either,

1. Young and has no idea how the real world works, or

2. He is not serious at all and just starts these useless threads to get people to post negative responses to it
I think your right. He is also trying to tell us that he is willing to commute 2 hours each way every day for this job. I think it is he who is scamming the employer. Maybe they just noticed his address on his resume and just wish he would go away.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I think your right. He is also trying to tell us that he is willing to commute 2 hours each way every day for this job. I think it is he who is scamming the employer. Maybe they just noticed his address on his resume and just wish he would go away.

the job is 5 min away from my house, the interview is at headquarters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search