Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
If I were you, I'd send the hiring manager an email (once you know for sure that you didn't get the job) asking where you fell short? It may be that the selected candidate was visibly better. Or it may be that you stumbled on an all important question. I bet you'll get honest feedback either way, so long as you phrase the question right.

I don't have her email, only the first lady who interviewed me. That;s why I was kicking myself for not asking for her business before I left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I have a couple of thoughts: I would have called Tuesday. I'd probably still call now, but I would NOT ask the interviewer how I did/what I did wrong/or any of that other stuff. I don't know of any interviewer who's going to feel comfortable giving you an answer. What I would do is express my desire for the job, then disappointment if I didn't get it, and then I'd thank them for them time and ask them if they knew of any positions for which I'd be a good fit or if they knew anyone who might know of a position. If they mentioned any names at all I'd call immediately and say I was calling b/c so-and-so didn't have a position for me, but that I'd be a good fit here, etc.

The other thing I've noticed in this job market is that employers are looking for a complete match to their ad. Personally, I'm only applying for jobs for which I match the qualifications posted. Because with all the people looking for work, employers are taking their time and looking for the perfect employee--at least that's what I'm seeing.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't have her email, only the first lady who interviewed me. That;s why I was kicking myself for not asking for her business before I left
Do you know the full name of the hiring manager? If you have the email from the first lady, then you'll know the format/domain so you can generally figure out the email of someone else as long as you know their full name. Company email addresses are generally firstname.lastname@company.com or firstinitial.lastname@company.com.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Do you know the full name of the hiring manager? If you have the email from the first lady, then you'll know the format/domain so you can generally figure out the email of someone else as long as you know their full name. Company email addresses are generally firstname.lastname@company.com or firstinitial.lastname@company.com.

Nope, don't remember her name.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Oh, please, TVandSportsGuy - please say you were tongue in cheek about the new suit? I'm afraid you weren't. We had enough of the top coat already!

You just don't seem to get it and you've been given so much good advice from so many different people on so many of your innumerable posts. You only pop in with a "Thank you!" when someone who haplessly steps in and hasn't read the history of your posts agrees with you. Otherwise you pretty much dun all others or go on a silly rampage of "what if?" questions.

So you had one job for 10 years, you're in your early 30s now and unemployed - your kvetching and basic whining just never stops and it's one thread after another seeking affirmation for the way that you feel about the hiring process, the interview process, selection process, dress code, timing, lack of timing, "thanks but no thanks" e-mail versus USPS letter and everything else under the sun.

You obviously are learning nothing at all from so many good and nice people who have tried to guide you but, as I said, it's obvious that you feel impelled to continuously create new threads with a varying whine. 30+ years old. Yikes. Any chance that you'll soon grow up?

I confess that I find you quite entertaining in a bizarre sense but also confess that your gripes are becoming just a bit tiresome. Cheers!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh, please, TVandSportsGuy - please say you were tongue in cheek about the new suit? I'm afraid you weren't. We had enough of the top coat already!

You just don't seem to get it and you've been given so much good advice from so many different people on so many of your innumerable posts. You only pop in with a "Thank you!" when someone who haplessly steps in and hasn't read the history of your posts agrees with you. Otherwise you pretty much dun all others or go on a silly rampage of "what if?" questions.

So you had one job for 10 years, you're in your early 30s now and unemployed - your kvetching and basic whining just never stops and it's one thread after another seeking affirmation for the way that you feel about the hiring process, the interview process, selection process, dress code, timing, lack of timing, "thanks but no thanks" e-mail versus USPS letter and everything else under the sun.

You obviously are learning nothing at all from so many good and nice people who have tried to guide you but, as I said, it's obvious that you feel impelled to continuously create new threads with a varying whine. 30+ years old. Yikes. Any chance that you'll soon grow up?

I confess that I find you quite entertaining in a bizarre sense but also confess that your gripes are becoming just a bit tiresome. Cheers!

I have learned a lot from being on this site. The next interview I should defintely get the job.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Oh good.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
This all has certainly been entertaining. Ever since the "top coat" fracas, I have had the song "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation" stuck in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5KlhbnZosU

Last edited by lisdol; 02-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM

That's a good one but here's another courtesy of Monty Python. Not sure that TVSG will find it remotely entertaining but it's quite appropos!

YouTube - Silly Job Interview - Monty Python

Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
If i was told on Monday that the hiring decision would be made on that day and since then haven't heard anything and tomorrow is friday, is it safe to say that I was not selected to be one of ones to come on board?

Please I need complete honesty because that will help me grow. Thanks
You interviewed on Monday. They told you that a discision would be made that same day. It is know Thursday and you are wondering if you did not get the job! Seriously dude, WTF? Maybe they called you on Monday night but you didn't answer the phone because you thought that it was your mom calling? You did not get the job and you do not seem to get the clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
I'm am by far no expert but I would think by the info you give that it means you were not hired. I would call though and ask and see why and if the person who interviewed you would give a critique of how you presented yourself so you can use it to better prepare for future interviews. I would want to know why I did not get hired no matter how bad it would make me feel or not. I don't see how it could hurt anything but may help you and you'd know what to work on.
You should have stopped with "I'm am by far no expert".

Quote:
I don't have bad credit
I don't have a criminal background
I have a Degree in Communications
I worked consistently for 10 straight years
I never been fired

So I'm not in the damaged goods category.
You may not be in the damaged goods section, but you also may not be in the Hire Me! I Am Totally Awesome category, either.

This list says nothing of the kind of worker that you are or the job that you performed.

The brutal truth is that if your 'real' life personality reflects anything close to your CD personality than I doubt that you will get a job anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search