Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times

Advertisements

" see the headhunters are on here telling us we don't know what we are talking about. LOL"

Well, joining my voice with yours, I woud say I hate recruiters who have a job posted at their agency, but another recruiter is handling it. That pisses me off to no end, when I see a job, and the recruiters act as if they are poaching on each others sign-ups. Why should it matter which recruiter gets me the job. I shouldn't be stuck with the recruiter who signed me up.

And yes, I too, of course despise when there is no job, but they advertise and bring me in for a fake job. (But I am prety good at spotting those, through hard experience.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
" see the headhunters are on here telling us we don't know what we are talking about. LOL"

Well, joining my voice with yours, I woud say I hate recruiters who have a job posted at their agency, but another recruiter is handling it. That pisses me off to no end, when I see a job, and the recruiters act as if they are poaching on each others sign-ups. Why should it matter which recruiter gets me the job. I shouldn't be stuck with the recruiter who signed me up.

And yes, I too, of course despise when there is no job, but they advertise and bring me in for a fake job. (But I am prety good at spotting those, through hard experience.)

Can you give me some tip on how to spot those kind of interviews??? Last thing I want to do is go on a fake job interview

Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 PM

hmmm ...for example, if it sounds to good to be true...entry level paralegal, no exp, will train, pay 45,000. or
It is posted for too long, when other jobs are gobbled up... or

or it says Large Center City law firm seeks 5 years exp paralegal, or large public university seeks assistant to president and when you call they have disappeared....and the qualifications listed are the same for two disparate ads, meaning the person just changed a few words around.

little things like that...hope this helps..

But! the biggest giveaway is when you go on the fake job interview, and they say, oh that job has already been filled and they just posted it the same day...that is a dead giveaway...and in the end, I get to sign up with another deadbeat or turn out to be great staffing agency... you just never know...

Last edited by gea12345; 03-07-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
hmmm ...for example, if it sounds to good to be true...entry level paralegal, no exp, will train, pay 45,000. or
It is posted for too long, when other jobs are gobbled up... or

or it says Large Center City law firm seeks 5 years exp paralegal, or large public university seeks assistant to president and when you call they have disappeared....and the qualifications listed are the same for two disparate ads, meaning the person just changed a few words around.

little things like that...hope this helps..

Well that's why I was skeptical about the interview I have on monday because it was set up through email. I mean after checking it out everything turned outto e legit, the person's name and company but I was so used to be called on the phone for a job interview

Old 03-07-2009, 01:59 PM

But that was another post, you did...and if you remember I agreed with your sceptism...But this post you are 110 percent against job fairs, which does not make sense to me, if I am 110 percent looking for employment like you are!!

It is like posting on Monster,,, it will probably come to naught, but you have to try anyway...

And dressing up and getting out of the house is a GOOD thing, if it doesn't cost anything more than time and transpo money. And bring your lunch.

And it is not like it is an everyday thing~

But, I do hope that you get a job on Monday ;-)

Old 03-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
But that was another post, you did...and if you remember I agreed with your sceptism...But this post you are 110 percent against job fairs, which does not make sense to me, if I am 110 percent looking for employment like you are!!

It is like posting on Monster,,, it will probably come to naught, but you have to try anyway...

And dressing up and getting out of the house is a GOOD thing, if it doesn't cost anything more than time and transpo money. And bring your lunch.

And it is not like it is an everyday thing~

But, I do hope that you get a job on Monday ;-)

Just seeing the look of a job fair on TV is enough to keep me away.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM

yes,,,hmmm you already said that...;-)

Old 03-07-2009, 06:07 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just simply checking out the job fair sources like jobing.com or careerfair helps me determine which companies are going to be there and if it is worth the time and drive to attend. It has saved me LOTS of time and stress, and with the horrific job market here in Tucson it is a godsend that the websites tell you all of this information before going .

Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You're your own worst enemy for true!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I think if you have the skills and experience, prepare yourself before the job fair, be professional and sell what you can offer to the company, job fairs can be beneficial. It's a great opportunity to meet employers directly and gives you the chance to spend time with them to talk to them and let them know why you would be the right person, as opposed to them reading your application that you sent through a job site.

Another added benefit is to network with other professionals who are looking for a job. There are a lot of seasoned professionals who are looking for work. By meeting new people and extending your network, maybe someone you met could become a resource to you in the future.

If there is a job fair one day, and you have no interviews or anything planned - what is the harm in attending and see what comes out of it? If there are 500 people there, and you didn't get anything out of it - maybe you didn't stand out or sell yourself well enough. Maybe you just blended in with the 90% of the people who are just there to be there, instead of the 10% that were there to get a job.

How do you prepare for a job fair?
1. Find out which employers will be there and what positions they are looking to fill. Then decide the top 5 or 10 employers you want to talk to. Find out where their booths/tables will be to ensure you don't get lost and miss out on one.
2. Prepare a 2-3 minute "sales pitch" to the employers on why you should be the person for this job. Don't try to wing it on the day of.
3. Prepare a customized cover letter for each of the employers you will be speaking with. This will let them know you did your homework and did not come with 100 copies of your resume to pass to each employer.
4. Bring enough copies of your resume. Last thing you want to do is run out if someone asks you for it.

I had a former colleague who was laid off from a bank and went to a job fair in NYC, Madison Square Garden, and there was over a thousand people attending. He did those things above and sold himself and made sure they remembered him. In the end, he got 2 interviews at the office during the job fair and 1 employer called him a week later for a interview. And this is out of a thousand people.

I can't speak of the quality of the job fairs in other cities, but personally, I just don't see the problem with going to a job fair and doing what you can to land a job if your unemployed. Worse case is that you lose a few hours and miss Jerry Springer.

JESUS IT TOOK ME A WHOLE HOUR TO FIND THIS COMMENT!! now i can save it.....and share it with my internship class!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search