Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times

Advertisements

I have recently achieved new certifications and will be looking for new employment. I have updated my resume, it is about 2 pages with all my experience and education listed. Some people have told me to limit it to one page. Is this necessary or preferable? Or does it really not matter, as long as it is not too lengthy?

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I can guarantee you that your second page will never get read. For every job applied for the employer gets hundreds to many thousands of resumes. Your chances of getting noticed are very very small. Those clowns have to read all those resumes so you can bet they just breeze their eyes over it. A 2 page resume will get filed in the "G" file for garbage.

Today many larger companies use a software program that picks out key words. On a 2 page resume it would not know what to do with the 2nd page.

You must shorten it.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Two pages, is fine, they look at the overall jobs, points of interest, key words, like skimming a story, buzz words to speak of, and then if they see them, they slow down and read the rest. Sometimes its best if you read the job ad and you can highlite some of the buzz words, or key words in your resume, underline them even, or bold, so the people notice them better, when you send it to them, it shows your resume was fine tuned and specialized for them, not just generic. It doesnt work all the time, but 70% is better than not.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I have recently achieved new certifications and will be looking for new employment. I have updated my resume, it is about 2 pages with all my experience and education listed. Some people have told me to limit it to one page. Is this necessary or preferable? Or does it really not matter, as long as it is not too lengthy?

Well, the talk on the streets, that one page is enough and two is too much. However, mine is three pages.

So, what do I advise. Well, if you are going to apply for a job online, where you may or may not have a machine looking for "key" words, then make up a one page resume. Perhaps, use two colums, and put more info on the first page, instead of aesthetics.

Then you will have a one page resume for the machines and H.R. people who only read one resume. Maybe you can have two resumes, one - one page and the other two.

good luck

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
My wife use to do alot of resume for people after they sent here to classes on it where she worked. She always told them 2 pages at max.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:

It's no way your resume can be one page if you have been in the workforce for 10 years or more.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Sure it can depending on the advanced training you have had and the related project you have handled.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's no way your resume can be one page if you have been in the workforce for 10 years or more.
Mine is a half page with 3 decades in a specific business. Im am among the elite in what I do and even managed to list my awards, accomplishments and certificates in that half page.

Givem too much information and they would have no need to call and ask you anything. Keep them wondering and they will have to call.

I still say 2 pages will get tossed. Think about it this way. You are reading City Data posts. You are reading down the list of posts. You will read all the 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and maybe 7 and 8 line posts. But if you see a post with a whole bunch of large paragraphs you skip right over it dont you. That should be a point well made.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
It has been near twenty years since I joined the "real" workforce after college. 6 jobs since then with various (and increasing) levels of responsibilty. In addition to the B.A., there are many technical development courses and certifications. I really don't want to leave anything out, as I think it gives a picture of me as a contributor to the company. But I dont want it tossed, either.

What about messing with type sizes and margins? Is anything smaller than 12-point typeface too small?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,008 times
Quote:

You should really leave it at one page. A trick that I use is making the margins narrower in order for the text to fit on one page.

I believe two pages would be used for Curriculum Vitae's as well as other professional resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search