Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,643 times

Advertisements

I know that when I started my business I used a variety of my friends to help me with that. I found that through the principles of the Power of Who Power of WHO!. It proved to be very useful to work through my referrals every time I have worked outside of them I have not been able to accomplish all of my goals and dreams. Thanks - Bob Beaudine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
IBM has be using/reusing people as "contractors" since the 90s--it is certainly no respector of persons-
but most people know that in that sector--don't know any large company that is a "mother-hen" type anymore...
even when you DO produce, you can be booted...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
You could say that many/most americans corporations esp. those involved in IT and computers - have really gone down the toilet as far as how they treat their employees.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Yes, that is the market model, when you are on the top of the world bread basket, you treat your employees well, but when there is strong world competition, then the market model, says you treat your employees like toliet dispensers, if you can get away with it....

I remember when I was at Wells Fargo Bank, many people I would listen to would get on their hind legs about how union people were lazy and quote how many policeman, city/government employee does it take to turn a lightbulb or complain about the flaggers making 16 bucks an hour to flag cars...

but...now people are starting to see the wisdom of unions...with so many people out of work
but...this is not to say that there are not loads of union people out of work, they are.

just a thought...

Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yes, that is the market model, when you are on the top of the world bread basket, you treat your employees well, but when there is strong world competition, then the market model, says you treat your employees like toliet dispensers, if you can get away with it....

I remember when I was at Wells Fargo Bank, many people I would listen to would get on their hind legs about how union people were lazy and quote how many policeman, city/government employee does it take to turn a lightbulb or complain about the flaggers making 16 bucks an hour to flag cars...

but...now people are starting to see the wisdom of unions...with so many people out of work
but...this is not to say that there are not loads of union people out of work, they are.

just a thought...
You made a couple of good points. I'll add to that saying that unions may indeed see a revitalization. After decades of decline, it may come full circle. With the economy in the state that it's in, decreasing size of the middle class and sending of American jobs overseas the conditions are ripe for a resurgence.

I've always been against unions and frequently quoted the typical stereotypes, but no more. It will be a tough fight to substantially increase union membership since the large corporations will bring out the big guns along with their shills in Congress.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
You could say that many/most americans corporations esp. those involved in IT and computers - have really gone down the toilet as far as how they treat their employees.
That's a great point. When I was working for Countrywide before the office in our area was closed down, our new Regional VP kept on telling us things like "Oh don't worry about it, everything's going to be fine. Its a fresh start."

He said that at a time when the housing market crash was occurring. As soon as we were transferred to a new office, three weeks later, a bunch of the employees including myself were laid off just like that, all the while Countrywide was lying to us, saying that things were fine when they were not.

Countrywide is not a good company to work for and I wouldn't even go back to work for them if they wanted me to, never again would I work for them.

Many corporations don't really care about their employees, they just care about $$ that's it and that's really sad

Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Yeah it is all about the big boys getting their bonuses and their rolls royces you know. Customers suffer, because the cost cutting does not bring down the prices for them, service is considered "not value added", i.e. they only have it because they must... former employees suffer, current employees suffer - but they get theirs.
Actually to get back on topic - The aldi chain is opening up stores all over here and are hiring at a pretty decent wage for a store. (I have heard iffy things about working for aldi - but I am convinced that all jobs are kinda crummy now. )

Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Hiring, staff turnover aren't what they were before the recession - latimes.com

Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
stay away from non-profit jobs

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
stay away from non-profit jobs
That's not true of all non profits by any stretch and you should be more specific in your admonition. You're basing your comment on your own particular and limited experience with low echelon state-funded non profits which started feeling the pinch several years ago. As funding was inexorably reduced and in many cases cut completely, many of these agencies consolidated and many closed. There are privately funded and operated not for profit organizations which are entirely different from those you're referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search