Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
I would do this. When I do interviews and I have two people who are even in every respect, it might tip me one way or another. Myself, I never see the thank you letters, they stop at the Personnel office. But we usually have made the decision who we want to do the second round of interviews within an hour of finishing the last candidate. So a letter is meaningless to our decision.
So, that is how it works at your company. I must have missed the memo that every company must follow this exact selection process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
if a thank you letter stops at the personnel office then the letter writer did not address it correctly--unless the personnel office opens ALL mail sent to company personnel...

Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 PM

255 posts, read 821,537 times
Question Here I was thinking it was a regional custom...

When I worked in the midwest and interviewed potential hires, I received many "thank you" cards from interviewees. I was surprised that these individuals would expend the effort to do so, and I thought it was a nice gesture, but it didn't factor into whether or not they were offered a position -- I just placed the "thank you" card into the interviewee's file. The job offer was based solely on the individual's merits, and in retrospect (and coincidentally), I don't recall having hired anyone who sent me a "thank you" card.

I personally don't send thank you cards, though I will take the opportunity if contacted via email after an interview (such as for a writing sample), to mention that I enjoyed meeting the interviewer. Whether or not that was true is a different story entirely...LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM

26 posts, read 111,598 times
totally agree!!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
well that makes me really regret encouraging my son to send thank you letter after his interview earlier this month...seems like most people rate it a negative vs a positive...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
neutral...not negative or positive. If the interviewer liked the interviewee's personality, then the card will only help reinforce an already held opinion.

But I don't think a hiring manager or CEO could defend their decision to hire someone based on the fact they sent a thank you card and continue to be respected. But then again getting a job, is "I think" 50 percent the person liking you or not disliking you.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This woman I talked to last night who hired people in the past told me that when she interviewed several candidates for a position, after the interview it was only the people she wasn't interested in who sent thank you letters and the ones she was interested never sent a thank you letter.

Found that to be very interesting
the interesting part to me is stuff that is said in confidence often ends up posted on CDF the next morning.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM

412 posts, read 939,293 times
I'm surprised by a lot of these comments. Most of the books that I've read about searching for a job suggested sending a thank-you. The career counselors at my university suggested sending a thank-you. Now, I don't think that sending a thank-you letter or email will a mediocre or poor candidate get the job vs. a great candidate that didn't send one. But if a hiring manager was on the fence between a few candidates, wouldn't a thank-you letter or email help?

I don't think it can hurt, unless the thank-you letter is poorly written, of course.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:04 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Well, after partiicpating with my employers in hiring our IT gal/guy, the most important thing is always cost and the second thing is ability and the third thing is the person's demeanor during the interview. Humility goes a long way for at least my employers...and a card does not hurt, if it reinforces the first impression that the candidate really wants to work for your company.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I had an interview today and sent a thank you email. It's always good form in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search