Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

I can't remember your screen name but I do remember you saying something along the line of making the interviewer feel important. Wish I can remember who you were.

I was going to say this yesterday at my job interview but didn't have the nerve

"You look so young to have such an important position"

So does anyone have advice on PERSONALITY TRICKS i can use on interviews in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
I always say that compliments come naturally...just be yourself and appear interested in the company, the position and the person interviewing you and things should go well. Being really interested and not offering a pretence is always the key..

i thought you had something on line for yesterday...any good news..

Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I always say that compliments come naturally...just be yourself and appear interested in the company, the position and the person interviewing you and things should go well. Being really interested and not offering a pretence is always the key..

i thought you had something on line for yesterday...any good news..

Had a interview yesterday and just asking for tips for future interviews.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Don't ask TOO many questions - you are going to come up with one they can't answer and then they might look ignorant - don't want to put them in that spot. Second interview is where you get to the specifics and the salary issues. Make it seem like you will "fit in" to their team, and act enthusiastic. Nice dress and well groomed goes hand in hand with this.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
for you, dont be yourself.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Don't use tricks. Most of the time the interviewer will know. save the quick one liners for the bar after work. When you interview with a company be professional. the last thing an HR manager wants to hire is some slick line dropping potential deviant.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Don't use tricks. Most of the time the interviewer will know. save the quick one liners for the bar after work. When you interview with a company be professional. the last thing an HR manager wants to hire is some slick line dropping potential deviant.

I thought you knew part of being tricky is not giving away you are being tricky. So if yo are good enough they won;t know you are being slick

Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM

173 posts, read 968,092 times
Don't treat the 1st interview as there being a job at stake, wait for the 2nd and 3rd interview to feel anxious or nervous.
Treat the 1st interview like an informational interview, "What do you like about working for this company?"
I live in NJ, so I always ask, "so what is the morning and evening commute like?" That is a major ice breaker and both parties are usually more relaxed after that.
If you do talk about a desk object or knick-kack, save it for the end, and make sure you pick a good one.

If it is a direct manager, ask them about any special certifications they needed to obtain to fill "their" role and not the one you are trying to fill.

If they are on linked in, bring up their undergrad institution if that is available, that's always a nice talking point/ice breaker.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought you knew part of being tricky is not giving away you are being tricky. So if yo are good enough they won;t know you are being slick
I do know and I am good at catching people blowing smoke.

If the person interviewing you falls for "you look too young to be in this position" then they are an idiot. Either that or they are vain and either way you won't want to work for them.

Slick one liners using someones looks is a joke (IMO). If you are going to compliment someone then do it based on something relevant to the conversation such as a recent marketing campaign, something in the news or maybe a personal experience you had with their product, service or whatever. The slick lines with either get you laughed at after the interview or the label of being a "used car salesman".

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
tluv00If you are going to compliment someone then do it based on something relevant to the conversation such as a recent marketing campaign, something in the news or maybe a personal experience you had with their product, service or whatever. "

Excellent advice and it shows you have done some research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search