Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I think there is a study out there that smokers are less productive because of the time they take to go on breaks and if they are not able to take breaks they lose focus due to "withdrawal". I could be wrong.

IMO smokers are feeding an addiction during work and if that addiction is effecting their work then that is a problem. Do not smokers get clean air breaks and if not then why not?

"Hey boss.....I am running outside to take a 5 minute oxygen break".
doesn't everyone get breaks? two 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch. what...people can't smoke on break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:19 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
the name is dreamweavin--not dreamer, sweetie.
So it's ok with you if someone drinks on the job cause it doesn't create an odor? Or you'll hire a boozer even if it means they miss work due to said drinking?
You think drinking doesn't cause problems which should be held accountable to insurance standards? Might better read up on that.........
As for perfumes--yea they cause Big Time problems for someone sensitive to them. Might wanna do your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
God how judgemental you are. People who drink dont stink the place up. People who smoke have killed their taste buds and sense of smell so they would not know another smoker if they smacked them. Would they dreamer??????

My company did not want to pay for health care to those who are least healthy, self inflicted I might add. THAT MAKES IT MY BUSINESS.

And when did perfume ever kill anyome or make them sick?

Last edited by Élan vital; 03-21-2009 at 12:08 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe that is the way things are in NC, but in NY it IS illegal to discriminate in rental housing because of "family status." The only exception to that is senior citizen housing.
That's how my building is, it's not for families only adults and I would raise hell if they ever rented to someone with kids.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's how my building is, it's not for families only adults and I would raise hell if they ever rented to someone with kids.

I have not studied this kind of law, but my general knowledge is that you cannot discriminate against people with children. They are not a protected group*, but Housing laws are strongly enforced. But I will do a brief research as to how to avoid abiding by general rental laws. (one poster already mentioned senior citizen housing exceptions)

*Protected Groups:
Age Discrimination
AIDS/Disease
Disabilities (ADA)
National Origin Discrimination
Racial Discrimination
Religious Discrimination
Sexual Orientation Discrimination
Vietnam Vets/Veterans
Sex Discrimination
Equal Pay
Maternity & Pregnancy
Sexual Harassment

Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I have not studied this kind of law, but my general knowledge is that you cannot discriminate against people with children. They are not a protected group*, but Housing laws are strongly enforced. But I will do a brief research as to how to avoid abiding by general rental laws. (one poster already mentioned senior citizen housing exceptions)

*Protected Groups:
Age Discrimination
AIDS/Disease
Disabilities (ADA)
National Origin Discrimination
Racial Discrimination
Religious Discrimination
Sexual Orientation Discrimination
Vietnam Vets/Veterans
Sex Discrimination
Equal Pay
Maternity & Pregnancy
Sexual Harassment

In 9 years no one with kids has ever moved in this building, I don't think it's a family type of neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
In 9 years no one with kids has ever moved in this building, I don't think it's a family type of neighborhood.
But if a prospective tenant with kids did rent there you could "raise hell" (as you said you would do) all you wanted but be doing nothing more than being a pest and making yourself unhappy.

I think it's been said but age-restricted developments are legal in a lot of places. Many do not permit even the grandchildren to stay overnight. The assumption is that most people post 55 are empty nesters.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 AM

132 posts, read 446,250 times
BUMP

This is about job applications and race not for getting an apartment.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
The Cleveland Clinic won't even interview you if you smoke, much less hire you. They also made anyone who currently works there quit smoking within 2 months, or they were fired. They also test for it, like a drug test.

As far as the housing thing goes, I have been turned down housing before when I was without kids, the landlord felt that families and young party guys would not mix in the same house, she was probably right.

As far as the original question, they ask the question so that blacks and hispanics can get the job before whites and Asians so they can meet their quotas. Pretty much the bottom line. You can have a place that is 95% black and no one questions the hiring practices, but if a place is 95% white, then they are considered racist and need to hire more minorities, go figure.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
As far as the original question, they ask the question so that blacks and hispanics can get the job before whites and Asians so they can meet their quotas. Pretty much the bottom line. You can have a place that is 95% black and no one questions the hiring practices, but if a place is 95% white, then they are considered racist and need to hire more minorities, go figure.
Yes and no. I think companies are looking for more individuals of specific races so they can call themselves "diverse". However, I don't think all companies do that. I worked for a company that was predominately white. In fact, I think I was the only person there who was considered something other than white and I'm only part Native American. Then again, I was also one of the three laid off due to the company's financial reasons. As far as I know, that company is still all-white because 97% of the population in this region is considered white. The few Hispanic and African Americans that do live in this region are mostly hired at restaurants.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 PM

422 posts, read 791,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman View Post
Whenever you file an application for a job, you'll have to mark which race or ethnicity you are.

Why do they want to know people's racial or ethnic background?
They get tax incentives for hiring minorities. It's always optional though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search