Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Did they mention how often you would be required to travel? I interviewed for a job last year that told me I was required to travel to their Westchester office (I am in NYC, which is about 45 minutes away), which I was not too happy about, but then when I asked how often would I need to go, the manager said not often - only about once or twice a month, which is no big deal for me.

Everyday, it's a Field Position,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
aahhhhh.... I am amazed you so self-composed. If a job requires a car or requires a lot of traveling, then they should have put that in the ad, instead of misleading.

However, I have heard that a lot of social workers start out in the field. For ex. like Schoh workers, etc...

again good luck for next week!

p.s. And i dont' understand, unless they are at a loss of words...why they ask you if you are working...if your resume says feb. 2005 to jan. 2009.

I am also aghast at some of these employers who pay pennies and then say you are not allowed to work part-time somewhere else. Jesus!! It is not their business if you work a part-time job or go to school or dance on the roof on your own time, as long as do your job and show up and on time...;-)

Yeah, strange. My resume has been saying January 2009 since January 26th-lol

Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Quote:

Well, now that you are finished focusing on this job interview, and you had so much trouble with the decision about two interviews in one day, basically putting all your eggs in one basket, all the help people were trying to offer, letting you know something like this might happen, what do you have to say about it? This is where you come back and show us that you have learned something. Not just go on to another asinine question or statement with no resolution or end.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Well, now that you are finished focusing on this job interview, and you had so much trouble with the decision about two interviews in one day, basically putting all your eggs in one basket, all the help people were trying to offer, letting you know something like this might happen, what do you have to say about it? This is where you come back and show us that you have learned something. Not just go on to another asinine question or statement with no resolution or end.
What do you think? That this is an episode of South Park?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I once had worked with a temporary service and the manager kept telling me for every job I inquired about ,"Oh email me your resume " . Well I had already been in the office and filled out the paperwork and he had my resume on file and on his computer file . He would always say "Well send it to me anyway " and I thought to myself why ? are you too lazy to look it up on your computer ? so I agree with the person who said they are just too lazy and frankly if I owned a company this person would be the first to go out the door because they are just that , lazy. Eventually I got tired of them telling me this and one day I asked how do I get a job with you all then ? I was told to call in and when I did I got the send me your resume bit . So I finally contacted corporate and they got rid of this person .

Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was in the interview and the guy asked toward the end-"Are you working now?"

It was stated as CLEAR AS DAY on my resume that I stopped working in January of 2009. My resume was in front of his face during the interview and he still asked if I'm employed? This has happened on every Job interview I had AFTER the month of January and I can't figure out why.
I don't think the question is at all unusual. Many laid off job seekers have taken transitional jobs that are not in their primary field while exploring other positions. Many don't indicate it on their resumes. Also, for some employers, interviewing an individual who has been unemployed for a few months or longer can speak to the individuals motivation and flexibility to take a position not in their normal line of work which can equate to a reluctance to take on different job responsibilities at a new job. Think out of the box. It sounds like the employers you have interviewed with have.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
"Also, for some employers, interviewing an individual who has been unemployed for a few months or longer can speak to the individuals motivation and flexibility to take a position not in their normal line of work which can equate to a reluctance to take on different job responsibilities at a new job"

Clarification Please...what does the above mean? I get what you are trying to say, but could you say it more bluntly, so I can understand...thnx.

p.s.. are you saying more months out of work = desperation = i will take any kind of job?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
"Also, for some employers, interviewing an individual who has been unemployed for a few months or longer can speak to the individuals motivation and flexibility to take a position not in their normal line of work which can equate to a reluctance to take on different job responsibilities at a new job"

Clarification Please...what does the above mean? I get what you are trying to say, but could you say it more bluntly, so I can understand...thnx.

p.s.. are you saying more months out of work = desperation = i will take any kind of job?
I am saying that everything being equal, I'd rather hire someone who is currently working than someone who has been unemployed for months, regardless of the position that they are currently working in.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I am saying that everything being equal, I'd rather hire someone who is currently working than someone who has been unemployed for months, regardless of the position that they are currently working in.

Thanks! I totally mis -understood you, so I am glad that i asked. ;-)

Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post

And why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search