Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I am saying that everything being equal, I'd rather hire someone who is currently working than someone who has been unemployed for months, regardless of the position that they are currently working in.

I understand, but it is not as accurate as one would be led to believe.

For example, my field is paralgeal, and when I was/am unemployed, I worked under the table as a food processor, over the table as a waitress, advertising copy checker, furniture mover....and none of these jobs would i put on my resume.

Why? Because I would lose my power position in negotiating my next salary, if they know I am willing to take these kinds of jobs...;-)

because unfortunately, employers pay according to your perceived status.

just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM

50 posts, read 173,045 times
If I get asked that during my interview next week, I'm going to say that I've been tutoring in the meantime, which I have been, since I've been helping my younger sister with her homework and her friends with a group project. Since the job requires me to be able to communicate "technical information to non-technical audiences" I think that this will be a plus. Also, as a 22 yr old female right out of college,I don't think that it would sound weird to the employer. I just think that it would sound better to say "I've been tutoring in the meantime while applying for full-time positions" instead of saying, "I've been unemployed since..." You know?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And why is that?
People have a tendency to get lazier and lazier the more out of work they are. Plus they tend to get an attitude. I will emphasize, NOT ALL PEOPLE! But, by in large, and psychologically, training someone to get back into the swing of working, as well as teaching them a new job, is a two-fold process which some employers don't want to take on. To others, they see the unemployed worker as more desperate, they ask that question because they know it puts you at the disadvantage for negotiating your beginning salary, especially if you're on unemployment. If you turn down a solid job offer which is within 75% of your previous earnings level and the prospective employer reports you to the Workforce, you can become ineligible for future UE benefits.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Imo. Good idea if it ups your market worth...but not if it brings it down.... If you want a 56000 dollar job and you say that you have been working as a pizza delivery person for 8 dollars while looking for a job...i think is a risk, I rather say traveling abroad, which I have done...

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 PM

"If you turn down a solid job offer which is within 75% of your previous earnings level and the prospective employer reports you to the Workforce, you can become ineligible for future UE benefits."

Do you really think that a potential employer would report an interviewee?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I don't think the question is at all unusual. Many laid off job seekers have taken transitional jobs that are not in their primary field while exploring other positions. Many don't indicate it on their resumes. Also, for some employers, interviewing an individual who has been unemployed for a few months or longer can speak to the individuals motivation and flexibility to take a position not in their normal line of work which can equate to a reluctance to take on different job responsibilities at a new job. Think out of the box. It sounds like the employers you have interviewed with have.
Best answer. Let's hope TVSG reads, understands and retains.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
People have a tendency to get lazier and lazier the more out of work they are. Plus they tend to get an attitude. I will emphasize, NOT ALL PEOPLE! But, by in large, and psychologically, training someone to get back into the swing of working, as well as teaching them a new job, is a two-fold process which some employers don't want to take on. To others, they see the unemployed worker as more desperate, they ask that question because they know it puts you at the disadvantage for negotiating your beginning salary, especially if you're on unemployment. If you turn down a solid job offer which is within 75% of your previous earnings level and the prospective employer reports you to the Workforce, you can become ineligible for future UE benefits.

Damm after reading your post maybe I should take that job if offered and just become a traveling a$$-lol

Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
"If you turn down a solid job offer which is within 75% of your previous earnings level and the prospective employer reports you to the Workforce, you can become ineligible for future UE benefits."

Do you really think that a potential employer would report an interviewee?
They have it on the internet, if their job is posted, and you receive benefits, the workforce, and the employers can access that information. Ive worked in HR for over 8 years in TX, its very simple. There is a check list for the employers where they fill out 5 options, (that is, if they have their jobs listed with the workforce, not all jobs are listed.) anyway, Did candidate show up 2. Applied for job 3. not qualified for position 4. Hired, start date: 5: Offered Job, rejected/didnt show up first day

Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
They have it on the internet, if their job is posted, and you receive benefits, the workforce, and the employers can access that information. Ive worked in HR for over 8 years in TX, its very simple. There is a check list for the employers where they fill out 5 options, (that is, if they have their jobs listed with the workforce, not all jobs are listed.) anyway, Did candidate show up 2. Applied for job 3. not qualified for position 4. Hired, start date: 5: Offered Job, rejected/didnt show up first day

Yes, i see. Thanks. so the answer is not to apply for jobs listed with workforce in your state or career link in my state....'-) or at least thru. them.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yes, i see. Thanks. so the answer is not to apply for jobs listed with workforce in your state or career link in my state....'-) or at least thru. them.

Well I guess going to Careerlink was a waste of time-lol Now that staffing speciaist don't have to call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search