Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
OK, so you had the gas and paid the babysitter so you could go to the unemployment bureau, but wouldn't go on an interview? That makes no sense.

You know you have the classic fault of an interviewer...just classic. Compassion, it can be your friend. And I've said it here before don't ever ASSUME anything. You HR people and or interviewers do that...

First of all how do you know how far away the unemployment bureau was from me? I tell you straight up 1.7 miles. However gas and money for me wasn't an issue...it is however for many unemployed.

I lived in a small town.

The jobs? mainly 25 to 30 miles one way for interviews huge large city.

Second, I did not have a child at home. My child is grown. I had the economic means to take care of myself for 5 years without a job.

I do however have compassion for others that are in that boat. Single mother no child support, car on it's last leg, wondering do I have money for diapers, or do I go out on a goose chase and put in an application for a company that may or may not be hiring...I'm that mom? I got kids to feed? I'm going to the place that is HIRING.

The trouble with this me me me I'm great I did it why can't you society, is some of us have blinders on....we can't put ourselves in another position.

What's the favorite catch all phrase in corporate America right now? Think outside the box...try it.

Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-28-2009 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Well unfortunately that's not the case anymore. Some employers want a crystal clean credit check for any kind of job. Up to the employer but personally I feel it's uncalled for when one is not working in the finance area (which I do work in btw). The two co workers at work that told me they failed the credit checks, yet got hired, are in the financial end of our company. So go figure...I can't figure out why some got hired with bad credit that should have had good credit to get the job, and why some with bad credit didn't get hired and the job had nothing to do with money.

You know I've been working for 40 years (35 years at one company) I started working at 17, and still to this day I can not figure out employers, and I absolutely can not stand HR people and even more...the people who do interviews...I get sick of the "I hold your life in my hands" attitude.

HR people, Bankers, and mortgage companies are right there on my list of the used car sales person....generally someone I'd never want to be friends with.

I know you are deadly serious...but what a fantastic quote, comparing h.r. people to used car sales people... lol

Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I know you are deadly serious...but what a fantastic quote, comparing h.r. people to used car sales people... lol

That's not a list of comparisons per se, that is a list of people that I generally have low respect for.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
That's not a list of comparisons per se, that is a list of people that I generally have low respect for.

still very funny since i have never head it before...;-)

Old 03-28-2009, 01:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I did because he like me to much to fire me so he made it seem like a layoff. If he didn't like me he would have called me in his office and said-"I have to let you because you cost this company too money"
Um yeah, OK.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You know you have the classic fault of an interviewer...just classic. Compassion, it can be your friend. And I've said it here before don't ever ASSUME anything. You HR people and or interviewers do that...

First of all how do you know how far away the unemployment bureau was from me? I tell you straight up 1.7 miles. However gas and money for me wasn't an issue...it is however for many unemployed.

I lived in a small town.

The jobs? mainly 25 to 30 miles one way for interviews huge large city.

Second, I did not have a child at home. My child is grown. I had the economic means to take care of myself for 5 years without a job.

I do however have compassion for others that are in that boat. Single mother no child support, car on it's last leg, wondering do I have money for diapers, or do I go out on a goose chase and put in an application for a company that may or may not be hiring...I'm that mom? I got kids to feed? I'm going to the place that is HIRING.

The trouble with this me me me I'm great I did it why can't you society, is some of us have blinders on....we can't put ourselves in another position.

What's the favorite catch all phrase in corporate America right now? Think outside the box...try it.
I'm not HR, not sure where you got that idea. Never said I was. Most of the locations are in small towns where the average employee travels less than five miles to get to work.

Frankly if I was unemployed and someone called me for an interview but said that there might not be openings for a few weeks, I'd still take my chances and go. With unemployment the way it is right now, thinking that you "might" get another job in the next few weeks when your phone hasn't rung in two months is a dangerous way of thinking. It's no different than going on any interview--your chances of being hired are never 100%. If people refuse to go on interviews because they don't have a guarantee of an immediate job, than they shouldn't go at all--because NO interview guarantees a job.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Um yeah, OK.

I'm serious, since the month of October he kept hearing I screwed something up which wasn't true and it was just put on me in meetings so managers could take the heat off of them. So I guess he said-"i have to find a way to get rid of him because he is costing the program too much money"

That's why was I surprised when he said he would bring me back in May.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not HR, not sure where you got that idea. Never said I was. Most of the locations are in small towns where the average employee travels less than five miles to get to work.

Frankly if I was unemployed and someone called me for an interview but said that there might not be openings for a few weeks, I'd still take my chances and go. With unemployment the way it is right now, thinking that you "might" get another job in the next few weeks when your phone hasn't rung in two months is a dangerous way of thinking. It's no different than going on any interview--your chances of being hired are never 100%. If people refuse to go on interviews because they don't have a guarantee of an immediate job, than they shouldn't go at all--because NO interview guarantees a job.

holy mackeral,,, she is not saying she would not go for an interview...obviously! She also said she has been working for 20 plus years....What she said, was that people in difficult situations have to make difficult decisions when it is deciding whether to buy milk for your child or spend gas money for a job that may be advertised under false pretences, is not currently open, the person who answers the phone will not confirm that there is an actual opening...etc...And that people who dont' have to make those kind of decisions, shoudn't glibly, assume that those who dont' jump in the car and forget their other immediate responsilbities are wrong for not doing so.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:

Going by your logic I think I will ask out a girl and say to her-

"Look I'm not single right now but I still wanted to go out with you to see if there was a mutual attraction because if things don't work betwee me and my current girl then we can see if we can get involved with each other"

I guess the girl would then say-"Ok I will go out with you and if there is a mutual attraction you can keep my number around just in case it doesn't work out with your current girl"

Old 03-28-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm serious, since the month of October he kept hearing I screwed something up which wasn't true and it was just put on me in meetings so managers could take the heat off of them. So I guess he said-"i have to find a way to get rid of him because he is costing the program too much money"

That's why was I surprised when he said he would bring me back in May.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search