Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Lack of basic human decency is what bothers me in all of this. Making someone jump through the hoops when you KNOW they don't have a shot is just low in my book. Next time someone "pulls my resume off the internet" I will tell them I am not going to be their Equal opportunity/Straw man candidate.
That exactly what it sounds like. a EOE interview-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM

810 posts, read 1,758,487 times
Also when the hiring manager (or whoever you interviewed with) will not answer your calls when you call to follow up then you are not getting the job.
For me it would have been nicer for her to simply tell me I didn't get the job, instead I received the rejection email at the end of the day.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Also when the hiring manager (or whoever you interviewed with) will not answer your calls when you call to follow up then you are not getting the job.
For me it would have been nicer for her to simply tell me I didn't get the job, instead I received the rejection email at the end of the day.
Well if it's a rejection no phone conversation is needed so the email is more appropriate

Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,675,984 times
When they email you and say they are interested and tell you to call their office and they aren't there. And you call again a few hours later...still no answer.

What a bummer!!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
When they email you and say they are interested and tell you to call their office and they aren't there. And you call again a few hours later...still no answer.

What a bummer!!

Sounds like you need to take your phone in the shower in 2012 LOL

Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,716,219 times
What's not a good sign is when they say that "I'll contact you if I am further interested in you". This means that they will look at your application and/or resume one more time, say F- no, and throw it in the wastebasket/shredder/whatever as soon as you walk out the door.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
What's not a good sign is when they say that "I'll contact you if I am further interested in you". This means that they will look at your application and/or resume one more time, say F- no, and throw it in the wastebasket/shredder/whatever as soon as you walk out the door.
I had one lady show me where the microwave was in the office and still didn't get the job LOL

Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,758,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well if it's a rejection no phone conversation is needed so the email is more appropriate
I agree but when I left the interview (which I thought went well, I had the qualifications, I even knew someone at the company, did my research and the hiring manager actually told me to call her to follow up), so at that point she could have told me over the phone that I wasn't a good fit or whatever reason. It just feels like nowadays employers would rather blow you off than actually telling you why you were not hired. After I left the first message and didn't get a call back that day I knew I didn't get the job, IDK I just wish that I would have been given a reason why I wasn't a good fit. It's just frustrating.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I agree but when I left the interview (which I thought went well, I had the qualifications, I even knew someone at the company, did my research and the hiring manager actually told me to call her to follow up), so at that point she could have told me over the phone that I wasn't a good fit or whatever reason. It just feels like nowadays employers would rather blow you off than actually telling you why you were not hired. After I left the first message and didn't get a call back that day I knew I didn't get the job, IDK I just wish that I would have been given a reason why I wasn't a good fit. It's just frustrating.
Well it's arkward for people to reject someone over the phone. One guy actually was creative when I called to follow up for one job and he said there is currently a hiring freeze. So I was like..."Oh ok think you for telling me"

4 days later I get a letter in the mail saying the position was filled. So I folded that letter up and put a yellow sticky on it and wrote..."Why did you send me this when you said it was a hiring freeze?"

I mailed it back to the idiot the next day

So it's easier for people to reject you from a distance

Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
4 days later I get a letter in the mail saying the position was filled. So I folded that letter up and put a yellow sticky on it and wrote..."Why did you send me this when you said it was a hiring freeze?"

I mailed it back to the idiot the next day
Great advice on how to burn bridges. If that company suddenly comes up with a bunch of vacancies, no point in applying as such childishness has already been noted and your name marked with a "unsuitable candidate" tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search