Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM

27 posts, read 198,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Any where I've ever worked, you don't get "laid-off" for performance--that's called getting fired.
I actually did get 'laid-off' for performance once. They had created a position in the company and my boss - who worked at another location - expected her friend to get it and was pissed when the company gave it to me instead. She based all of my reviews on input from this 'co-worker', since she wasn't there to supervise me directly. The thing they got me with was the 'co-worker' would call my boss and let her know when I was away from my desk, then my boss would call me and, of course, not get me. I frequently would be away discussing product delivery with the sales support staff, i.e., doing my job. I was very young, not even 21 yet, and had no idea they were tag-teaming me like that. Once my boss had enough ammo, she came to my location, called me into a conference room and told me that was my last day, that they had reassigned my duties to other existing staff members, and were letting me go for "excessive socializing". I cried a little, said good-bye to my friends, and promptly went to the Unemployment Office and told them I had been laid-off, since my position had been eliminated. They didn't even try to contest it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroElli View Post
I actually did get 'laid-off' for performance once. They had created a position in the company and my boss - who worked at another location - expected her friend to get it and was pissed when the company gave it to me instead. She based all of my reviews on input from this 'co-worker', since she wasn't there to supervise me directly. The thing they got me with was the 'co-worker' would call my boss and let her know when I was away from my desk, then my boss would call me and, of course, not get me. I frequently would be away discussing product delivery with the sales support staff, i.e., doing my job. I was very young, not even 21 yet, and had no idea they were tag-teaming me like that. Once my boss had enough ammo, she came to my location, called me into a conference room and told me that was my last day, that they had reassigned my duties to other existing staff members, and were letting me go for "excessive socializing". I cried a little, said good-bye to my friends, and promptly went to the Unemployment Office and told them I had been laid-off, since my position had been eliminated. They didn't even try to contest it!

Yeah, it is hard not to tear up a little,,even when you hate the job! and if you love it, that is of course worse...

Old 03-29-2009, 12:43 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
I mentioned this conversation to my cousin and friend and both of them were against going to a future interest interview. I guess because we all know the future can mean 8 months from now.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yeah, it is hard not to tear up a little,,even when you hate the job! and if you love it, that is of course worse...
The toughest part about being laid off is not seeing the people again you were friends with during the time you were employed. Whenever I start working again I plan to go back to my old job one last time so I can have lunch with all my friends before we go our seperate ways for good.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The toughest part about being laid off is not seeing the people again you were friends with during the time you were employed. Whenever I start working again I plan to go back to my old job one last time so I can have lunch with all my friends before we go our seperate ways for good.

I totally agree....work buddies make work fun...

and hopefully you will have a decent job, so you can hang out in this oh so beautiful weather we are having here in exciting Philadelphia

Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I totally agree....work buddies make work fun...

and hopefully you will have a decent job, so you can hang out in this oh so beautiful weather we are having here in exciting Philadelphia

beautiful weather means nothing to me unless i'm employed.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM

173 posts, read 966,813 times
Quote:
If the people you worked with haven't reached out to you yet, then are they really your friends?
Or were they simply business associates/acquaintances?
I believe it's rare to have that many friendships formed during employment.
It is the employed that have the greatest influence on whether the unemployed return to employment.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
If the people you worked with haven't reached out to you yet, then are they really your friends?
Or were they simply business associates/acquaintances?
I believe it's rare to have that many friendships formed during employment.
It is the employed that have the greatest influence on whether the unemployed return to employment.

Yes they have reached out to me.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:50 AM

358 posts, read 1,053,631 times
Quote:
Well I feel I can post these bad signs now since the rejection email came today which I was expecting so it wasn't a surprise. So in the future, if you experience any of the situations below you may not get the job.

1. You don't fill out a job application

2. Salary is never brought up by the Interviewer

3.You are told by the interviewer-"I will definitely let you know either way" after asking the next step in the interview process.

4.You are never asked-"when would you be able to start?"

5.The interviewer doesn't try sell the job to you at all during the interview.

So if you encounter atleat 3 of the 5 situations above then that's probably not a good sign getting the job. If anyone has anymore feel free to post.
1. I've encountered this a few times. And it seems that whenever I am seriously considered for a position, that is when I am asked to complete an application; I can't really say much about when I'm not asked to complete an application other than I don't get a response back saying that they've hired someone else.

2. Actually, salary has only been discussed in about half of my interviews. This may be because salary was listed on the advertisement and this hasn't mattered whether I've been seriously considered for a position and not. The rule about salary discussions is not to bring it up if they haven't; salary can always be negotiated when you've been offered the job. And that is fine with me.

3. I've received a few of these, and again, the jobs I've been seriously considered for have always contacted me on their own. And the jobs I haven't been seriously considered for haven't provided a status update. So you are correct, for me, about this, too.

4. I am asked this in nearly every interview.

5. I've been given a sales pitch as it were in all the jobs I've had an interview for. It's probably because by the time you are in an interview, you are one of the final 2 through perhaps 5. If they weren't interested in you enough to sell the job to you, they wouldn't have bothered to bring you in for an interview.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
1. I've encountered this a few times. And it seems that whenever I am seriously considered for a position, that is when I am asked to complete an application; I can't really say much about when I'm not asked to complete an application other than I don't get a response back saying that they've hired someone else.

2. Actually, salary has only been discussed in about half of my interviews. This may be because salary was listed on the advertisement and this hasn't mattered whether I've been seriously considered for a position and not. The rule about salary discussions is not to bring it up if they haven't; salary can always be negotiated when you've been offered the job. And that is fine with me.

3. I've received a few of these, and again, the jobs I've been seriously considered for have always contacted me on their own. And the jobs I haven't been seriously considered for haven't provided a status update. So you are correct, for me, about this, too.

4. I am asked this in nearly every interview.

5. I've been given a sales pitch as it were in all the jobs I've had an interview for. It's probably because by the time you are in an interview, you are one of the final 2 through perhaps 5. If they weren't interested in you enough to sell the job to you, they wouldn't have bothered to bring you in for an interview.

Number 3 I would say is the BIGGEST sign out of the 5 I listed that you are not getting the job.

Also I didn't know how to interview when I was laid off and had t fail 3 times before i knew what I was doing. It took me 4 months to realize that a interview is just like a date, let the interiewer do most of the talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search