Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I just get baffled by the have you ever been fired from a job question. I would have to guess that 35 to 50 percent to middle aged US adults have been fired from a job at least once. I've run into questionnaires that ask if you have ever been disciplined by an employer, again, same thing. What do they expect? Maybe the right thing to do for final candidates is to do a mimi apprentince, even if it something as simple as:
Bring a change of clothes for your interview, after the interview you'll go out and wash this car.
At least that could show work habits.
By law-alot of companies CANNOT say if you were fired/why. They can only verify dates you worked there. There have been alot of civil lawsuits against companies in that area. You may just want to edit your history- No one cares if you were fired 5-10 years ago (unless it was some criminal thing) It wont show on your Lexis/Nexis report. They have no way to verify resumes. Hope this helps

sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
I work in HR and am surprised how FEW calls I get from companies verifiying the previous or current employment of an applicant. Most companies know professional references are a waste of time and are more likely to check information like college degrees and criminal and credit information.

Most companies do not keep records on employees for more than 7 years back.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Best to be honest regarding being fired from a job.

Was fired once from a very "laid back" place where the "manager" with a grim reaper disposition had an issue with me being more conscientious, and nicer to the clientele than was standard there. Thankfully he put me out of the misery within the week, so Hubby couldn't accuse me of being too "fussy" with this place (which I only took because of where we lived at the time and pickins were slim). And they didn't do any checks at all. Didn't even call references -- red flag right there!

When I'd tell a future employer of a much better company just why I was fired there when asked, they seemed to appreciate it. Simply a difference of philosophies and work ethic. I will only work for somebody who does these checks.
Check away, nothing to hide. Seems places which don't just want bodies, and morale is usually in the -hitter. The more thorough, the better to work for, IMO.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:49 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
By law-alot of companies CANNOT say if you were fired/why. They can only verify dates you worked there.
There have been alot of civil lawsuits against companies in that area. You may just want to edit your history-
No one cares if you were fired 5-10 years ago (unless it was some criminal thing) It wont show on your
Lexis/Nexis report. They have no way to verify resumes. Hope this helps
sunny.

An employment lawyer said in a newspaper column that if it is true (that one got fired), than employers, generally speaking, are not doing anything illegal by saying so.
However, since it is such a gray area that could open up a can of worms if the previous employer said an ex employee was fired, maybe they just choose not to.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:43 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
By law-alot of companies CANNOT say if you were fired/why. They can only verify dates you worked there.
There have been alot of civil lawsuits against companies in that area. You may just want to edit your history-
No one cares if you were fired 5-10 years ago (unless it was some criminal thing) It wont show on your
Lexis/Nexis report. They have no way to verify resumes. Hope this helps
sunny.

An employment lawyer said in a newspaper column that if it is true (that one got fired), than employers, generally speaking, are not doing anything illegal by saying so.
However, since it is such a gray area that could open up a can of worms if the previous employer said an ex employee was fired, maybe they just choose not to.
Companies who are legally aware will not say if an employee was fired or not. They will however almost always answer the question: "Is this person rehireable?" If the answer is "no"...then the prospective employer immediately draws the conclusion that the person he is calling about was fired.
That's why it's important to have a complete and up-to-date resume that explains any discrepancies. One may not be rehireable for the simple fact that he or she quit without notice. So you have to be able to explain that and the best time for that is during your initial interview so that there are no surprises when HR calls your former employer.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:17 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
How much can a background check reveal? Pretty much everything but it depends on how indepth the employer wants or needs to go.

Also, there are employers who will not hire you because of your credit rating (even if you are not dealing with money), if you are a smoker or overweight.
that is atrocious! It is unfair and should be illegal. Anyone,anytime,anywhere can steal money if they are so inclined; whether they have excellent credit,are thin and don't smoke-doesn't matter. Where were Americans when such bills were passed?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:11 PM

24 posts, read 133,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
that is atrocious! It is unfair and should be illegal. Anyone,anytime,anywhere can steal money if they are so inclined; whether they have excellent credit,are thin and don't smoke-doesn't matter. Where were Americans when such bills were passed?
I had my credit check when I started work at my present job, and I don't directly deal with money. I think if you have low credit, the employer can think that it shows irresponsibility. I've head of employers that want to find out if the person has declared bankruptcy, is in debt, or has lawsuits against them, since they think it gives more motive to steal financially from the company or be more inclined to sue.

The thin requirement I have not heard of before. Unless it's a neccessary requirement for the performance of a job, wouldn't that be discrimination?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
This subject makes me about as irate as anything. I agree some where the Privacy Act should pertain to credit checks. Unless you are applying for some sort of loan, I just don't understand how this is any of a company's business if laws are on the book regarding forbidden discriminatory practices such as hirings based on sex, race, creed, and religion. I would never allow any company to investigate my credit records (and my credit has always been better than average). I understand the argument when it comes to being repsonsible directly for cash flow, responsibility for handling money transactions, and the like. I still don't agree, but I get it.

When there is no such scenario, then I find it ridiculous and question when such practices exist why we have any government regulation and not just simply live in a libertine society. Credit checks are a poor method of determining a person's character and trust worthiness, believe me. There is some correlation, yes, but it is far from a broad brush that you can paint. I've known people with great credit who out of the blue ended up with over $60,000 in medical bills they could not pay after the loss of a daughter due to a brain aneurysm and being in intensive care for a week. I know people with scarred credit due to stolen identity. I know of people who simply for having ALMOST the same name with ALMOST the same street address 200 miles away in a different town end up with inaccurate negative credit reports. And it is a well-known fact that once these records appear, it is tedious and nearly impossible to remove these scars through the worthless maggots that make up the three credit bureaus in this country.

Personally I believe any company that requires a credit check where you are not directly handling financial transactions (which there are aplenty) is no one I'd want to work for. It is a big of a red flag as companies that actually do not check references or past employment, even hire you on the spot or over the phone without a face-to-face interview! If you actually have good morals, you will later find out none of these are the type people you want to work for.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:33 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Personally I believe any company that requires a credit check where you are not directly handling financial
transactions (which there are aplenty) is no one I'd want to work for. It is a big of a red flag as companies that
actually do not check references or past employment, even hire you on the spot or over the phone without a
face-to-face interview! If you actually have good morals, you will later find out none of these are the type people
you want to work for.
Amen to that!!
Amen to that!!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
I was terminated from my previous job when my supervisor accused me of "misappropriation of company assets". She went as far as to file charges against me with the police. Of course the police investigated and found me to be innocent and the charges were dropped. Less than a month later I discovered that the supervisor was terminated but was not informed why. I don't know how to explain myself to potential employers. I know that many will read this as being terminated for theft and not take a second look. How can I express my situation in professional terms? In terms of a background check, I'm not sure how the previous employer would respond. In my time with the company I was given 2 performance evaluations and scored the highest possible. I had also been through the management training program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search