Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless you've got a CV, you shouldn't have a second page. Most employers only care about your last ten years of experience, and unless you are a serial job hopper, there's no reason to use more than one sheet. And if you are a serial job hopper, you've got other issues to overcome...

As someone who used to review resumes, I definitely was less enthusiastic about people who took two pages to say they had "XXX" for skills and experience. It meant that they were unable to communicate their thoughts in a logical and concise manner--attributes that are important in most workplaces.

My first page is a Objective, Career Summary, and my last 6 years of employment. Page 2 is my first job in 1999 and my education and that's only a half of page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My first page is a Objective, Career Summary, and my last 6 years of employment. Page 2 is my first job in 1999 and my education and that's only a half of page
You don't need an objective. If you insist on stating it, put it in the cover letter instead of on the resume. If you are spending that much space on your last six years of employment, you have redundancies with the career summary. Seriously, I'd have someone look objectively at your resume for you.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You don't need an objective. If you insist on stating it, put it in the cover letter instead of on the resume. If you are spending that much space on your last six years of employment, you have redundancies with the career summary. Seriously, I'd have someone look objectively at your resume for you.

Well it's been working so far

Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
No that looks too desperate to me I rather not. I will never just flat out call or show up at a company about employment opportunities. Just not how I operate and would rather depend on my creativity in getting me a job instead of giving off the message-"I NEED A JOB"
So how is that working for you? I see your 'lunch with important people in NYC' a few weeks ago has not proven fruitful.

Dude, you DO NEED A JOB!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Well it's been working so far
You got a job?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You got a job?
No it has gotten me a opportunity to GET a job.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So how is that working for you? I see your 'lunch with important people in NYC' a few weeks ago has not proven fruitful.

Dude, you DO NEED A JOB!

It was dinner and atleast I did go to NYC and made a effort to network even though nothing came out of it. So now it's on to Plan B

Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,859 times
I work for an IT Consulting firm and when we placed a job for hire, we got tons of resumes. If I can offer some advice, because I read the ones that come to my email:

- Proof read them for spelling
- Talk about what you actually accomplished, highlight situations where it impacted the company you worked for. I don't care if you worked at McDonalds! Seeing your qualifications and what you know how to do is no big deal (how many other people know how to do the same thing?), ie...MS Word, Excel, etc...guess what: SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.
- If its for Sales: go online and look at professional resumes and see how they highlight their accomplishments (its a numbers game in Sales)
- If its for Customer Service/Administrative Assistant: highlight your accomplishments. Trust me everyone else out there has the same qualifications and can do the same thing as you can, but how do you stand out? Presentation is everything, a simple fax and email nowadays are the mode of transportation for resumes, but I once got one in the mail in a nice folder and they were called for an interview! Turned out they didn't really have the qualifications as they stated on their resume, but the move was right on the mark! They got noticed!
- Watch your dates on when you worked at previous jobs...I completely ignore "job hoppers". Make sure you can show that you can actually stay at a job for more then a year. If you were laid off, make sure its stated in resume (been there done that myself).
- Follow up with a phone call on the status, but don't over do it. You will stick out in my mind because I will keep pulling out your resume. This shows determination, but do it with "tact". Don't resort to getting on their nerves. Note: IF they state no phone calls : DON"T DO IT!

Interview Process:

- Show up dressed to impress
- Show up on time ( I don't know how many people shot themselves in the foot with me for being late - needless to say they didn't get the job). If you know ( and you do) that there is traffic, there should be no reason that you don't leave early so your on time) Please don't call me telling that your lost and it 5 minutes till your interview. Its called: GOOGLE MAPS. USE IT! Be prepared!
- Make sure you can talk about your job experiences with previous employers and what you took from those jobs in related to how those experiences will help with the position your applying for.
- Don't ask about the "pay" for this position! (ARE YOU KIDDING ME) You haven't even gotten the job....if they don't post it in the job description just wait because they will tell you in the interview process later. Don't ask about vacations or time off. Some people kill me with those questions!

- ASK QUESTIONS: OMG so many people don't do this and it makes you look as if you don't want the job, you didn't take the time to look up the company and what they are about.

Here are some good examples:

QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO ASK IN THIS INTERVIEW

What are your expectations of the person who will fill this job?
What are some of the skills and abilities necessary for someone to succeed in this job?
What freedom would in determining my own work objectives, deadlines and methods of measurement?
What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?
What are some of the more challenging aspects of this job?
What training will I be given with regard to learning about the company; it’s objectives and how I can contribute to this?
Could you describe your company's management style and the type of employee who fits well with it?
Are employees given an opportunity for continuing education or job training?
What are the company’s strengths compared to its competition?
What are the future goals of the company?
Why do you like working here?
What is the next step in the hiring process?

Note: Make sure you know what each question means or you yourself will get stuck if the interviewer doesn't know what it means them self.

** The last question basically lets you know if you are going to be called for an additional interview and where you stand **

I know its frustrating and I have been there 3 times: Laid off with Yahoo, Google and other dot com's during the 90's. Really go back over your resume and have someone else (non bias) to review it for errors etc. Make sure you can back up what you tell on your resume. If you have gaps, explain this and going to school doesn't discount you at all or being home with your kids during their first years of their life. Everyone has to work and now the compettion is fierce. People are showing up for jobs that don't pay sh-- and its sucks. I have been with my job for 4 yrs (thank god) and we only took a 5% pay cut. I do read resumes and I reply back to each one because it sucks to not being acknowledged so at least you can put that job to rest if you didn't qualify.

Remember: They want to know how well you will fit into their work environment and culture. Be a team player and not people focused.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by Sunnnee; 04-05-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
I work for an IT Consulting firm and when we placed a job for hire, we got tons of resumes. If I can offer some advice, because I read the ones that come to my email:

- Talk about what your actually accomplished, highlight situations where it impacted the company you worked for. I don't care if you worked at McDonalds! Seeing your qualifications and what you know how to do is no big deal (how many other people know how to do the same thing?), ie...MS Word, Excel, etc...guess what: SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.
- If its for Sales: go online and look at professional resumes and see how they highlight their accomplishments (its a numbers game in Sales)
- If its for Customer Service/Administrative Assistant: highlight your accomplishments. Trust me everyone else out there has the same qualifications and can do the same thing as you can, but how do you stand out? Presentation is everything, a simple fax and email nowadays are the mode of transportation for resumes, but I once got one in the mail in a nice folder and they were called for an interview! Turned out they didn't really have the qualifications as they stated on their resume, but the move was right on the mark! They got noticed!
- Watch your dates on when you worked at previous jobs...I completely ignore "job hoppers". Make sure you can show that you can actually stay at a job for more then a year. If you were laid off, make sure its stated in resume (been there done that myself).
- Follow up with a phone call on the status, but don't over do it. You will stick out in my mind because I will keep pulling out your resume. This shows determination, but do it with "tact". Don't resort to getting on their nerves. Note: IF they state no phone calls : DON"T DO IT!

Interview Process:

- Show up on time ( I don't know how many people shot themselves in the foot with me for being late - needless to say they didn't get the job). If you know ( and you do) that there is traffic, there should be no reason that you don't leave early so your on time) Please don't call me telling that your lost and it 5 minutes till your interview. Its called: GOOGLE MAPS. USE IT! Be prepared!
- Make sure you can talk about your job experiences with previous employers and what you took from those jobs in related to how those experiences will help with the position your applying for.
- ASK QUESTIONS: OMG so many people don't do this and it makes you look as if you don't want the job, you didn't take the time to look up the company and what they are about.

What are some of the skills and abilities necessary for someone to succeed in this job?
What freedom would in determining my own work objectives, deadlines and methods of measurement?
What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?
What training will I be given with regard to learning about the company; it’s objectives and how I can contribute to this?
Could you describe your company's management style and the type of employee who fits well with it?

Note: Make sure you know what each question means or you yourself will get stuck if the interviewer doesn't know what it means themself.

** The last question basically lets you know if you are going to be called for an additional interview and where you stand **

I know its frustrating and I have been there 3 times: Laid off with Yahoo, Google and other dot com's during the 90's. Really go back over your resume and have someone else (non bias) to review it for errors etc. Make sure you can back up what you tell on your resume. If you have gaps, explain this and going to school doesn't discount you at all or being home with your kids during their first years of their life. Everyone has to work and now the compettion is fierce. People are showing up for jobs that don't pay sh-- and its sucks. I have been with my job for 4 yrs (thank god) and we only took a 5% pay cut. I do read resumes and I reply back to each one because it sucks to not being acknowledged so at least you can put that job to rest if you didn't qualify.

Remember: They want to know how well you will fit into their work environment and culture. Be a team player and not people focused.

Good luck to everyone!

What

Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post

- Talk about what your actually accomplished, highlight situations where it impacted the company you worked for. I don't care if you worked at McDonalds! Seeing your qualifications and what you know how to do is no big deal (how many other people know how to do the same thing?), ie...MS Word, Excel, etc...guess what: SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.

Interview Process:

Note: Make sure you know what each question means or you yourself will get stuck if the interviewer doesn't know what it means themself.

Good luck to everyone!

What do you mean put in the cover letter you were laid off? I never heard of that.

And what is the limit of questions one should ask at a interview? 4? 5?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search