Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

Late last year I decided I wanted to give back to the community. As I mentioned in a previous post I work as a Human Resources Recruiter for a large Fortune 500 Company. In my career (going on 20 years) I have reviewed thousands of resumes, interviewed hundreds and hundreds of people and taught classes on job hunting. I know something about the topic.

Anyway, I was reading about all the professional people out there that were unemployed and all the trouble they were having finding a job. I still am constantly amazed at the large number of people who are highly educated and intelligent but lack any skills in resume preparation, interviewing skills and job search strategies. They may spend a significant amount of time gaining technical skills in their jobs but have ignored the most important skill they will ever need- how to get a good job.

So I decided to place an advertise in Craigslist and identify my self as someone to help them with their job search. I told them that I was a recruiter and teacher and I knew just about everything that there was about job hunting and I wanted to help up to ten people for free. I insisted it was not a con or a money making scheme on my part, I just wanted to help some people in an area where I was an expert.

Anyway, I asked everyone to please write to me and explain why I should help them. I was particularly interested in helping middle aged professionals who had been laid off who were really struggling. I said I would pick out the best replies and get back to them.

I got twenty four replies and of those 7 were legitimate. I am still helping them now and it has been quite an experience. Some have found jobs at the company I work for and others at other local employers. Only two are still employed. All had terrible resumes and poor job search skills. I feel I made a difference.

Should I write a book about my experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Well, you obviously climbed the mountain with moses and have seen the 10 commandments and now want to communicate to us, how we too can climb the mountain and read and be guided by the 10 commandments.

Why not? Go ahead!

The last time I went to Borders and the used book store, there were plenty of self-help books.

good luck, since WE all need help!!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Can you help me out here? I got 2 PROBLEMS! I'm discriminated because -

1) I have a felony
2) I am considered gay because I like buying and wearing womens clothes after work, never at work! I am not GAY "into men!" [Yuck!]

What are your experience and advice you can give me concerning my problems?

Like I had never had a job last more than 13 months, so I give up hope buying a NEW car on a 3 to 5 year loan...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Now, I'm no HR rep, but I would consider not telling your current/prospective employer that you wear women's clothing. No-brainer?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I've never told any of my previous employers that I crossdress. Rather, they all spy on me after work and find I buy womens clothes and then problems happen...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
I say not only write a book, but start a company doing what you obviously know how to do. You obviously have a skill that many are lacking, and have made a difference in at least five people's lives recently. During times such as these, people need to be competative, which is where you come in.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with your work performance or attendance?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Funny Funny

I really showed all of you that I had a huge ego about my skills and people's need for my services and advice!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Funny Funny

I really showed all of you that I had a huge ego about my skills and people's need for my services and advice!
You did?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I've never told any of my previous employers that I crossdress. Rather, they all spy on me after work and find I buy womens clothes and then problems happen...

Um yeah, I'm sure that they all sneak around after hours spying on you because they have no life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search