Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

Hello again from your friendly and informative Human Resources Recruiter. To those of you that are job hunting, do I have some advice and stories for you.

One of our Managers tasked me to recruit for a higher level Administrative Assistant. The person hired into this position would be a right hand person for a Division Director and five of his managers.

One very important skill this person would need would be very strong skills in Microsoft Office. They would be doing extensive complex correspondence, tables, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, PowerPoint Presentations, Databases, Scheduling, Newsletters, and graphics.

So we sent the top three applicants for the position to an organization that tested each person in Microsoft Office. One Man, who came off as quite impressive in the interviews, scored incredibly high on tests for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and Publisher. In fact he scored 100 percent in all tests. The agency says there are very few people out there that can score at 100 in such a wide variety of Microsoft Office tests. They only see it once or twice a year.

Was he hired. NO! Why? He was a man and the hiring managers wanted a woman. So they hired Bonnie. Her scores and interview results were average at best but Bonnie looked the part and everyone liked her personally.

What do you make of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
That man, - should wear a skirt suit and wig up like I do!

Ok, I can't work as an Administrative Assistant now... in guy mode. Gotta wear a skirt suit!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM

496 posts, read 940,796 times
The -isms are alive and well, as pointed out by a few of your other posts.

sexism (it goes both ways)
ageism
unemploymentism - let me try to come up with a better, more descriptive word for that.
etc.ism

Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
I think that if you were doing us a favor, you would do your research, annecdotal or scientific, and you would understand that women are turned down for many positions because they are not men and sometimes men are turned down for positions because they are not women.

To give you a concrete understanding, many employers want a female bartender, not a guy. But they don't say this in their ad. Some employers want a female babysitter, than a male. Some employers want a female secretary, than a male. Some employers want a female nurse, not a male. But this has changed, now they want male nurses.

All of the other positions, like fireman, president, ceo, cfo, coo, manager of IT, manager of almost every department, except ones dominated by women, choose men.

In this era and the era's behind us, employers still prefer men and STILL pay men higher salaries with equal positions.

There are other unfavored groups in addition to women, who have traditionally been overlooked. We are still working on bringing those people into positions, that have been traditionally the bastion of men. It is a long struggle, but possible.

Before, the 1st and 2nd world war, men were secretaries. Then women entered into the workforce and then women became secretaries and Men became guy Fridays, Assistants, Assistant Managers, etc... Then women demanded a change and then secretaries became adminstrative assistants.

Most men have not wanted to become secretries. Now that they do, that is fine, but as you know, it takes a long time to convince the powers that be, that a woman can do the job or (a man can be an administrative assistant.)
I too, have gotten 100 percent on MS tests and wasn't chosen. Another woman was chosen.

I look forward to your next post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Hello again from your friendly and informative Human Resources Recruiter. To those of you that are job hunting, do I have some advice and stories for you.

One of our Managers tasked me to recruit for a higher level Administrative Assistant. The person hired into this position would be a right hand person for a Division Director and five of his managers.

One very important skill this person would need would be very strong skills in Microsoft Office. They would be doing extensive complex correspondence, tables, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, PowerPoint Presentations, Databases, Scheduling, Newsletters, and graphics.

So we sent the top three applicants for the position to an organization that tested each person in Microsoft Office. One Man, who came off as quite impressive in the interviews, scored incredibly high on tests for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and Publisher. In fact he scored 100 percent in all tests. The agency says there are very few people out there that can score at 100 in such a wide variety of Microsoft Office tests. They only see it once or twice a year.

Was he hired. NO! Why? He was a man and the hiring managers wanted a woman. So they hired Bonnie. Her scores and interview results were average at best but Bonnie looked the part and everyone liked her personally.

What do you make of this?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
I make of this, if you were a real recruiter you wouldn't be sending out people for testing, MS Office testing is free and easy to do. You've brought up Age discrimination, Race discrimination, now Sex discrimination, trying to start up some sort of worry or concern while real people are looking for employment. To you this is some sort of joke or game that you like to play with people's emotions and see if you can stir up something, why, I don't know, maybe your own insecurities, you know you have nothing and have lost everything so the only way you feel better about yourself is to try and make others feel insecure about themselves. Whenever you have been downed or told you don't have the skill to do something you come on to this forum, post some outdated ridiculous thread from something out of "Life on Mars" and hope that someone will get all worked up so you can see that somebody else is more insecure or worse off than yourself, that way you say, "Hey, I'm not as bad as that person, so I'm not a complete loser!" but you know what, you are, because you are preying on people's emotions to fortify your own. You are using other people's misfortune and grief/worry to build up your own ego, so, yes, you are worse off than the person that does worry about those things, because they are not out here using other people and trying to ridicule unemployment as if it were a high school pop quiz.
I don't know what kind of parenting you got as a child, but I really feel sorry for you, and if you have insurance or any kind of medicare, please get psychiatric help.

Let me give you the other insecurities that you and your so-called "manager friends" or overheard coffee break people might have said to save you a lot of useless threads so you won't waste anyone else's time or cause any more concern over nonsensical assinine statements.

"One of my managers thought this candidate might be Gay, so I can't hire him/her, do you think that's fair?"

"I overheard (a loud co-worker) say that short/fat/overweight/bald/hairy/tall/skinny/(any physical characteristic which might be different than your norm) makes people less desireable in the market place as an employee. Do you think that's true?"

"People that have been Laid-Off, even with the economy, aren't getting hired, I heard it thru the grapevine"

In other words, you use the words, "I'm a Human Resource Recruiter, which if you were, you would be helpful, not negative, and insightful, not INCITEFUL, and educated, which you don't show to be, and you start these Rumors as if you were in some backwoods church from the 1940's about some loose woman sleeping with everybody's husband so you can get gossip and problems in the neighborhood cause you ain't got nothing better to do"

You started out, I'm a HR recruiter at an IT company, then went off on several other places, and its quite evident you aren't, so give yourself, and us a break.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Default The op likes controversy..

Maybe we should 'hit workers with a belt' to get them to perform better...or isn't that done anymore??

Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Maybe we should 'hit workers with a belt' to get them to perform better...or isn't that done anymore??
you caught that one too, yeah, or check to see if they have the Swine Flu, or come from the Bronx, or have trees in their back yard, or drive a 2004 Mercury Sable, or wear a "fashion Designer matching Swine flu mask" geez, where do these people find their brains, the dollar store on sale for 99% off

Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Default Hey, stop the personal attacks!

Wow this seems like a personal attack to me.

I have got many rep points for my postings in the Work and employment section. I have privately communicated with a half dozen people about their resume and job search strategies. I have got many words of support. I will keep posting my tidbits to help not hurt the unemployed.

As for the postings I do on the other boards, they are just interesting topics for general discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I make of this, if you were a real recruiter you wouldn't be sending out people for testing, MS Office testing is free and easy to do. You've brought up Age discrimination, Race discrimination, now Sex discrimination, trying to start up some sort of worry or concern while real people are looking for employment. To you this is some sort of joke or game that you like to play with people's emotions and see if you can stir up something, why, I don't know, maybe your own insecurities, you know you have nothing and have lost everything so the only way you feel better about yourself is to try and make others feel insecure about themselves. Whenever you have been downed or told you don't have the skill to do something you come on to this forum, post some outdated ridiculous thread from something out of "Life on Mars" and hope that someone will get all worked up so you can see that somebody else is more insecure or worse off than yourself, that way you say, "Hey, I'm not as bad as that person, so I'm not a complete loser!" but you know what, you are, because you are preying on people's emotions to fortify your own. You are using other people's misfortune and grief/worry to build up your own ego, so, yes, you are worse off than the person that does worry about those things, because they are not out here using other people and trying to ridicule unemployment as if it were a high school pop quiz.
I don't know what kind of parenting you got as a child, but I really feel sorry for you, and if you have insurance or any kind of medicare, please get psychiatric help.

Let me give you the other insecurities that you and your so-called "manager friends" or overheard coffee break people might have said to save you a lot of useless threads so you won't waste anyone else's time or cause any more concern over nonsensical assinine statements.

"One of my managers thought this candidate might be Gay, so I can't hire him/her, do you think that's fair?"

"I overheard (a loud co-worker) say that short/fat/overweight/bald/hairy/tall/skinny/(any physical characteristic which might be different than your norm) makes people less desireable in the market place as an employee. Do you think that's true?"

"People that have been Laid-Off, even with the economy, aren't getting hired, I heard it thru the grapevine"

In other words, you use the words, "I'm a Human Resource Recruiter, which if you were, you would be helpful, not negative, and insightful, not INCITEFUL, and educated, which you don't show to be, and you start these Rumors as if you were in some backwoods church from the 1940's about some loose woman sleeping with everybody's husband so you can get gossip and problems in the neighborhood cause you ain't got nothing better to do"

You started out, I'm a HR recruiter at an IT company, then went off on several other places, and its quite evident you aren't, so give yourself, and us a break.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Hey, it's up to the mods to decide if anyone is personally attacking you.

I guess you can represent yourself as whatever you want. It's up to people to believe or not believe what you have to say.

I'm not trying to personally attack you, but I do think you like controversy. However, you are not the only one.

I'm happy you are getting rep points. If that means so much to you, great! Loved the post about fashionable swine flu masks.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Bottom line the best person for the job isn't always the one who scores the highest. Being able to fit into the team is also important, and it's possible that the female was just a better fit personality-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search