Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times

Advertisements

Tough Interview Questions: Difficult Job Interview Questions and Answers

I little bit of good information for those out interviewing. Good luck to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Yep, I think I lost a very good job because of one of those Behavioural Interviews.
The questions of,
"Tell me about a time when you had a situation when you had a big success and give me details:"
then,
"Tell me about a time when you had a conflict situation how you handled it and I'll come back later and we can discuss the details"
These are so opinionated and rely on what the interviewer believes the answers to be, or should be, especially if its a phone interview, which mine was. Damn, sure wish I could have a do-over, but, spilt milk and all that jazz.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
They have lots of resources, i.e. books and videos for people who want to do well on behavior interviews, so there is help right around the corner. (Personally, i have been able to do well, just being myself, so i am not paying them to much heed. But I do find the videos entertaining!!)

lol

Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Yep, I think I lost a very good job because of one of those Behavioural Interviews.
The questions of,
"Tell me about a time when you had a situation when you had a big success and give me details:"
then,
"Tell me about a time when you had a conflict situation how you handled it and I'll come back later and we can discuss the details"
These are so opinionated and rely on what the interviewer believes the answers to be, or should be, especially if its a phone interview, which mine was. Damn, sure wish I could have a do-over, but, spilt milk and all that jazz.
I've asked similar questions before when I interviewed people, but from my perspective, I don't really care about their answer. For me, it's more about their way of thinking and how they addressed the problem, even if what they did failed. I don't dismiss anything that is considered a success or failure in one's perspective, and your right - it is very subjective. But what tells me more about the person is how you got to the end.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
The outcome of the conflict, was good, ethics wise, but I don't know for her. I did the right thing, honesty and everything, so, I have no issues with my actions, I just feel that she gave an odd interpretation in her Opinion. I don't honestly know at this point, but, tomorrow is another day.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I agree with danameless. I ask this type of question, and it does not matter whether the person gives me an anecdote from the past, or a guess as to how they would handle it. I just want to see if they can come up with a vaguely reasonable answer at all.

What I am trying to do is engage the candidate outside of the normal run of "tell me about yourself" or "what experience do you have". I want to see a hint of the real person on a question that they have not rehearsed.

I sometimes go a bit farther and ask technical questions that I know they cannot answer, or confusing, poorly worded questions that have no real answer. Again, I am looking for the candidates reaction to a bad situation more than any specific answer. I need to know how they are going to react in the workplace when they are challenged.

I don't view these as trick questions. All candidates are asked, and all have a chance to ask me to clarify, or for time to think. I am not looking for somebody who answers in a certain way with certain words. I am looking for somebody who does not simply throw their hands up in exasperation when something unexpected comes up, because then I know that I can rely on them to try and solve problems rather than come running to a coworker all the time looking for the answers.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
This comment has been Very Helpfu!! Why? Because very well explained and tone is delivered in an engaging, but, not in a I have the secret and you don't manner.

Also, makes the procedure sound very reasonable, purposeful and not psycho babble meant to turn unsuspecting interviewees into babbling psychos.

It also appears possible to prepare, if you first don't give up and second, understand how how humans in general understand problems and how they are best resolved, i.e. such as breaking a problem into small pieces and also to understand that in an organization, you are not alone, and can ask for help, without pushing the problem onto someone else.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I agree with danameless. I ask this type of question, and it does not matter whether the person gives me an anecdote from the past, or a guess as to how they would handle it. I just want to see if they can come up with a vaguely reasonable answer at all.

What I am trying to do is engage the candidate outside of the normal run of "tell me about yourself" or "what experience do you have". I want to see a hint of the real person on a question that they have not rehearsed.

I sometimes go a bit farther and ask technical questions that I know they cannot answer, or confusing, poorly worded questions that have no real answer. Again, I am looking for the candidates reaction to a bad situation more than any specific answer. I need to know how they are going to react in the workplace when they are challenged.

I don't view these as trick questions. All candidates are asked, and all have a chance to ask me to clarify, or for time to think. I am not looking for somebody who answers in a certain way with certain words. I am looking for somebody who does not simply throw their hands up in exasperation when something unexpected comes up, because then I know that I can rely on them to try and solve problems rather than come running to a coworker all the time looking for the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search