Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 AM

493 posts, read 514,496 times

Advertisements

A couple weeks ago I referred my friend to apply to seasonal positions and an available permanent position at the major retailer I work at. He graduated from UCLA, and began another degree program at a community college (where we met) to ultimately pursue a second bachelor's degree in a completely different field. This fall, he ended up enrolling in a graduate certificate program at CSUN, and decided to leave the community college entirely to find a full-time position in his field.

Three months later and he's still unemployed. Because I knew he was desperate for a paycheck, I referred him to my workplace where we were hiring for seasonal positions. He immediately took to the opportunity, applied, and was interviewed.

This morning he told me via text that he ultimately turned them down because "I couldn't bargain for slightly higher pay, and the hours weren't going to be too good."

I didn't say anything back...but honestly I just wanted to say "what did you expect? It's a seasonal retail job!" I found his response shocking and slightly offensive coming from someone who has been desperate for a paycheck for the last few months. I do wonder what HR thinks of my friends now, as I referred five people; four were rejected for having difficult availability to work around, and this other one expects higher standards than what are offered.

(edit: He is single, no children, and lives with his mom and brother at home)

I can understand he has standards, but a paycheck is a paycheck is a paycheck. Is he being too picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
His life. His choice. He obviously doesn't need money as much as you think he does.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
His life. His choice. He obviously doesn't need money as much as you think he does.
Pretty much this. If your friend doesn't care OP why would you? I'm guessing your issue is more to do with how it looks to your company than anything else. Easy answer to that. Stop referring people.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
I would have taken that job in a heart beat. He needs to learn that he will have to startvat the bottom and work his way up.

You can't be picky in this economy.

I learned that the hard way.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
It depends which retailer. There are some out there I would not touch with a ten foot pole. He may have had something spook him in the interview.
A store I worked for last xmas had software where you had to sign up for hours to work. Trouble was that hours were getting snatched up so fast, it was difficult to get any hours at all. The general feeling was that you were basically on your own if you were trying to get hours. It was not worth it, and I wound up applying for other jobs.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:57 AM

92 posts, read 202,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Stop referring people.
I agree. You don't want this to reflect poorly on you (re: questionable judgment in referring personal associates). The next time he mentions work or financial woes, just politely smile and say, "I hear ya, man." Don't offer any extra help. It sounds like he needs to find his own way.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
A person can only help someone else so much regarding finding a job. I had a friend ask me about places to apply. I only went as far as telling her to apply to the company I was at at the time. I told her not to tell the boss that I referred her. I just said to apply & try to get an interview with the boss and see what happens.

I prefer not to tell a boss specifically about someone because if they don't work out, it reflects on me.

But yes, you're friend is being way too picky. Let this be a lesson to you to let your friends find their own jobs from now. Obviously he didn't appreciate it. He lives with mommy & thinks he doesn't have to work.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM

211 posts, read 529,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Definitely. You've done what you could, but you can't force them to take the job.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
You're awesome for helping, he's an idiot.

What's going to be even more frustrating for you is when he inevitably starts to again complain about his desperation for a paycheck.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Expecting more money was an ego move. But hours wise, maybe they conflicted with his classes or something.

Either way, definitely stop referring people. And don't let yourself worry about your friend. He had an offer and turned it down, his loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search