Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:41 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,989 times

Advertisements

No! I think you are right! You were thrown and instead of being knocked down you actually can't be beaten because you have lots of networks, friends and people who will rave about you!

Believe me, If this happened to me, I would be extremely unhappy! But after that I would have to come up with an alternative plan.

I imagine you must have had some idea, if you had a friend "testing" the water, hmmm

Good luck! You sound as if you are well rounded and don't put your eggs in one basket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Lol unfortunately, this was my only job, but I moved around a lot as the company grew from a start up to a mid market competitor.

When I got laid off, I immediately started volunteering for the Alzheimer's foundation and I am doing more true marketing (which I love) for them. I already have two great references lined up from that organization. It's just my ex-boss rattled me with a less than stellar reference.

Maybe I can use a real estate broker in NYC that I help with doing marketing best practices and neighborhood demographic shifts?

This will give me three good references and one reference from HR at my old company. Am I over thinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Quote:
...and what a surprise...

I had my friend call up my old boss yesterday afternoon and he said he wouldn't hire me back (why, I have not a clue). He also said my position was cut due to job performance (again, not true. HR said my position was one of those eliminated due to downsizing, and was always given glowing reviews). So after hearing this, I called up the VP of HR and she said she can be used as the reference, but all she can do is verify years employed and beginning/ending salary.

Will this prove to be a negative against me since I am now just giving HR as a reference?
What your boss did was illegal. I'd report him.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,518 times
How is that illegal?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:51 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
Don't refer any potential employers to your boss. Just don't. He will ruin your chances to get a job and you wont even know what happend. There are people like that and there is nothing you can do, except not referring to him. That is nothing illegal and you cant complain when getting a bad reference. How will you make him recommend you? Actually in most cases you will not be aware of anything like that happening.
A bad reference is the worst thing you can experience in job hunting. I know about people that wanted to help a candidate, but said (unintentionally) something which hurt the candidate more then helped:
"Yes, Joe is a great guy who works best when left alone in his office (it was for a position dealing with public all day)"

Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Yeah I axed both my boss and his boss (my former boss) from the reference list. My guess is that I challenged (and I use that word very loosely) them both when I was working on a marketing project and saw they were trying to take a potential client over the coals by padding the prices in a presentation.

All I did was ask why she was going to be charged for "X" services when all she wanted was "Y" services. From that point on, they were both very distant from me until the buyout when everyone was cutting one another throats for position and needed allies.

I will just use the VP of HR and call it a day with those goons. I have a few other references from past projects and my volunteering gig that I will use instead.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,989 times
Good luck!! You will do fine, if you keep those dishes spinning in the air!!

Staying busy helps me!! remain optimistic!

Quote:
Yeah I axed both my boss and his boss (my former boss) from the reference list. My guess is that I challenged (and I use that word very loosely) them both when I was working on a marketing project and saw they were trying to take a potential client over the coals by padding the prices in a presentation.

All I did was ask why she was going to be charged for "X" services when all she wanted was "Y" services. From that point on, they were both very distant from me until the buyout when everyone was cutting one another throats for position and needed allies.

I will just use the VP of HR and call it a day with those goons. I have a few other references from past projects and my volunteering gig that I will use instead.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,672 times
There are a number of companies that will check your references for a small fee and then send you a report. They may record the call.

If the ex boss says all these negative things to these companies I would call the old boss up and tell them what you have found out. Attempt to work out an arrangement and if that does not work have an attorney write a letter to the company demanding a neutral reference or a law suit will occur.

Google the term: Check my employment references
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search