Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So let me ask you this, tomorrow will make two weeks since my 2nd interview and I have not heard anything or received a rejection letter. But I forgot to ask when A decision will be made while I was there so do most companies usually forget about the people they are not selecting and never send a rejection letter? Now like I said I forgot to ask so they could have been interviewing the rest of the week.
I don't know about other hiring managers but I don't mind at all when interviewees contact me to ask how our decision-making process is going...in fact, I invite them to email me to ask. I think it is quite rude if a company brings you in for an interview and then doesn't let you know their hiring decision. Sometimes, though, it takes us literally months to get through the entire interviewing and decision-making process. It is hard to get all the participating staff together for the interviews so sometimes a week or so will go by between interviews and then we all have to meet to discuss the candidates and then we have processes for approval from HR and upper management and the whole thing can seem like it takes forever. Candidates who stay nice through the waiting period definitely get noticed as good team players vs. candidates who seem completely annoyed and impatient. I joke that there are two types of time: hiring manager time and job seeker time. The two types of time exist in parallel universes. To a job seeker, two weeks feels like forever. To a hiring manager, two weeks can fly by and you are scrambling to get everything done (interviewing, reference checks, compensation review by HR, final approval from top management, etc.) so you can notify the candidates of your decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
T.V.Guy,,,, I understand that you are asking Topaz, as someone who hires people.

but i think you should follow your decision of yesterday and just call them tomorrow, asking when they will be making a decision. Then Listen!!

Then if you get the right person, say, I have received another job offer., but since your company is my top choice, I wanted to touch base with you, to make the right decision. And then Listen.'

Then thank them and hang up.

others may think differently, but that is what I would do!

p.s. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't know about other hiring managers but I don't mind at all when interviewees contact me to ask how our decision-making process is going...in fact, I invite them to email me to ask. I think it is quite rude if a company brings you in for an interview and then doesn't let you know their hiring decision. Sometimes, though, it takes us literally months to get through the entire interviewing and decision-making process. It is hard to get all the participating staff together for the interviews so sometimes a week or so will go by between interviews and then we all have to meet to discuss the candidates and then we have processes for approval from HR and upper management and the whole thing can seem like it takes forever. Candidates who stay nice through the waiting period definitely get noticed as good team players vs. candidates who seem completely annoyed and impatient. I joke that there are two types of time: hiring manager time and job seeker time. The two types of time exist in parallel universes. To a job seeker, two weeks feels like forever. To a hiring manager, two weeks can fly by and you are scrambling to get everything done (interviewing, reference checks, compensation review by HR, final approval from top management, etc.) so you can notify the candidates of your decisions.

Yeah I decided to call tomorrow because I'm scheduled to start another job on the 18th and wanted to know before I start beczuse I don't want to be a person who just quits after a week or two because I got the offer I wanted. Small part of me felt it was a good sign that I didn't get a rejection letter yet but that could mean they just forgot-lol And like I said the other job is not going to wait around for me while I wait on this job to offer me the position.

BTW: The company that wants is further away and the one I want is 10 min up the street-lol

Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
T.V.Guy,,,, I understand that you are asking Topaz, as someone who hires people.

but i think you should follow your decision of yesterday and just call them tomorrow, asking when they will be making a decision. Then Listen!!

Then if you get the right person, say, I have received another job offer., but since your company is my top choice, I wanted to touch base with you, to make the right decision. And then Listen.'

p.s. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!
I wasn't even going to even mention anything about having another offer, I'm just basically calling as a curious job applicant and if the answer is no then I will ask for a time frame-lol

Old 05-10-2009, 08:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post

This sounds like good advice to me. I don't know the full story for TVandSportsGuy because I haven't read the previous posts but I would want to know if one of our finalists was about to accept another offer because our decision was taking so long. I haven't yet been in this position with my current company and I don't know if I could speed things up but I would sure try.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I was recently unemployed for about 5-1/2 months. I spent a good 8 hours a day doing employment related tasks. Research, phone calls, resumes, emails, seminars, etc. I tweaked my resume for every single job I applied to because I took out things that were absolutely not mentioned in the ad. I also wrote a custom cover letter for every single job. I would never bother to apply for a job unless I had 90% of the qualifications asked for. But there are so many people out of work, there is always that one person who had that one qualification that I did not have.

The OP brings up some good points. The main thing that my unemployment support group told us though, is to make sure you spend time on yourself, mainly getting out, exercising (#1 thing!), interfacing with people, meeting for coffee (not lunch because you're broke remember?) networking, going to the library, etc. Take care of yourself and your appearance. Very important to not let your self esteem go to h*ll.

I applied for 175 jobs, went on 20 interviews and callbacks. Finally got a job and glad to have it.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This sounds like good advice to me. I don't know the full story for TVandSportsGuy because I haven't read the previous posts but I would want to know if one of our finalists was about to accept another offer because our decision was taking so long. I haven't yet been in this position with my current company and I don't know if I could speed things up but I would sure try.

That's why I should have said 2 weeks notice but was wondering if I would kill my chances so I said one week which was the 18th. That way I would have had a little more cushion but I need a answer for sure this week-lol

Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Congrats Gardener! I hope that it is working out these past three months! It sounds like it is. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I was recently unemployed for about 5-1/2 months. I spent a good 8 hours a day doing employment related tasks. Research, phone calls, resumes, emails, seminars, etc. I tweaked my resume for every single job I applied to because I took out things that were absolutely not mentioned in the ad. I also wrote a custom cover letter for every single job. I would never bother to apply for a job unless I had 90% of the qualifications asked for. But there are so many people out of work, there is always that one person who had that one qualification that I did not have.

The OP brings up some good points. The main thing that my unemployment support group told us though, is to make sure you spend time on yourself, mainly getting out, exercising (#1 thing!), interfacing with people, meeting for coffee (not lunch because you're broke remember?) networking, going to the library, etc. Take care of yourself and your appearance. Very important to not let your self esteem go to h*ll.

I applied for 175 jobs, went on 20 interviews and callbacks. Finally got a job and glad to have it.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
When I was job hunting recently...
Basically I got up in the morning, drank coffee, then spent about 2 hours looking through dice, craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, state employment etc. at about 9-11am. After that... I forgot about it for the next day.

I much prefer hard bursts of working, then relax though... than kina dreading looking stressing out skimming job postings all day.

If you are unemployed start growing a garden so you don't have to spend much money on food anymore.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
very good post. you got rep. very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search