Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times

Advertisements

Now I'm really in a tough situation, I have one employer that I want to work for that scheduled me for a 3rd Interview 5 min ago. Then there is the other employer that I want to work for that is be contacting me for sure on no later than Wednesday.
Both of these jobs are close and the job I'm scheduled to start tomorrow is not close at all. Now I'm thinking so I even go to the job tomorrow at all? It looks like I will be offered the job on tuesday at 1pm and the other job on Wednesday so do I continue to collect unemployment and see hat happens with these two jobs? SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
I don't know Penssylvania's rules, but I'm going to guess that if you are turning down suitable work that is within a reasonable distance (and they normally consider reasonable to be an hour each way commute--not a five minute walk) you will not be eligible for unemployment.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,107,828 times
That is a rose tinted version of events.

Actually, what will probably happen is that you will call in sick for the job you have, to go interview for the 2nd one on Tuesday. You will get a friendly call Tuesday night from the 1st job, letting you go and a second call Thursday, from the 2nd one letting you know they chose someone else. And the 3rd job, will never call.

I am all for being a person with a glass "half -full" perspective than half-empty.

But in your situation, it is better to be a pessimist, and count on the worst happening!!

If I were you, I would INSIST on meeting Job 2 and 3 before 8am or after 5pm!!

Anything else, like a hastily arranged medical appointment will send suspicious signals and these days, employers will ask you not to come back at the drop of the hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Now I'm really in a tough situation, I have one employer that I want to work for that scheduled me for a 3rd Interview 5 min ago. Then there is the other employer that I want to work for that is be contacting me for sure on no later than Wednesday.
Both of these jobs are close and the job I'm scheduled to start tomorrow is not close at all. Now I'm thinking so I even go to the job tomorrow at all? It looks like I will be offered the job on tuesday at 1pm and the other job on Wednesday so do I continue to collect unemployment and see hat happens with these two jobs? SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW

Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,490,296 times
If you have a job in hand, shouldn't you at least start working there? If I had been unemployed for a long period of time (which, as a matter of fact I was--on two different occasions), my first priority would be starting to work again. Then, and only then, would I think about new interviews.

The soap opera wends on, I see.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM

91 posts, read 527,012 times
Quote:
I was in the same position as you a few years ago.I went to three different interviews.Two called and said I got the job and I was actually hoping for the third job.I turned them down hoping I wasn't making a huge mistake.The third called(alot closer than the other two) and offered me the job a week later(thank god).
But you take a big chance,as you know,with jobs next to impossible to come by these days.
Good Luck to you whatever you decide.Please keep us posted on how it goes!!

Old 05-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you have a job in hand, shouldn't you at least start working there? If I had been unemployed for a long period of time (which, as a matter of fact I was--on two different occasions), my first priority would be starting to work again. Then, and only then, would I think about new interviews.

The soap opera wends on, I see.

That's why I hate life sometimes. Why couldn't be 2 months ago?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50 View Post
I was in the same position as you a few years ago.I went to three different interviews.Two called and said I got the job and I was actually hoping for the third job.I turned them down hoping I wasn't making a huge mistake.The third called(alot closer than the other two) and offered me the job a week later(thank god).
But you take a big chance,as you know,with jobs next to impossible to come by these days.
Good Luck to you whatever you decide.Please keep us posted on how it goes!!

Thanks Debbie. Big Week Coming up for me

Old 05-17-2009, 05:01 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,477,393 times
did you get a full time job? And if you did why did you not PM your other mom???

Old 05-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
did you get a full time job? And if you did why did you not PM your other mom???
Not Yet but I expect to this week. The job I was scheduled to start made some last minute changes that kind of turned me off but still planned on going until I received a cal today from the Job interview I interviewed with 2 weeks ago. Plus that job I was scheduled to start was in a "Push come to shove" area

Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,107,828 times
Quote:
Not Yet but I expect to this week. The job I was scheduled to start made some last minute changes that kind of turned me off but still planned on going until I received a cal today from the Job interview I interviewed with 2 weeks ago. Plus that job I was scheduled to start was in a "Push come to shove" area

Sorry, i forgot that you are like me, and you still have a safety net, if you make the wrong decision. I forgot about that! So, I hope you get the 2nd job!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search