Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the bad experience, however you learned a good lesson the hard way. Keep that in mind for the future.
Just a few thoughts:
1) Why 4 references? 2-3 should be enough for most places.
2) Call your references before the future employer does and "feel" the mood. If in doubt, don't refer to them.
3) In most cases, I send my reference a short e-mail. He/she may have forgotten what I exactly did and I refresh their memory. I also explain the nature of the next job and prepare them for possible questions. Sometimes the reference doesn't speak well. My e-mail can help them choose the right words.
4) My friend had someone who honestly wanted to help, but gave a wrong message (sure, Jim is a good worker, but he really excels when left alone in his office) - that was for a job that required all day dealing with the public!!!. Sometimes the way to hell is paved with good intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Can you move in with family like mom or a brother?

Never commit suicide as you will just end up burning in HELL forever! - That's where suicides go as God doesn't want people to commit suicide!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
What she did was illegal. Employers and landlords are not allowed give any information pertaining to your character. The only information she was allowed to give out were your dates of employment, and I think your ending salary. The same goes for landlord - all they can say is how long you lived at the residence - nothing else. It can be grounds for a lawsuit. Check with an employment law attorney.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
For what it's worth, I agree with the statements about the company you wanted to work for. The company is doing things bass-ackwards to offer you a job and then contact references. And then to rescind the offer. Can we say disorganized and unprofessional? So, despite your financial situation, it's truly no great loss.

Have you tried a temp agency like Accountemps (if it still exists)? Temping is better than unemployment checks.

Also, if a potential employer insists on calling a current employer for a reference, a less-than-great reference may be unavoidable (depending on the situation). I like the PP idea of having someone check references ahead of time. I also agree with obtaining a copy of your personnel file from the previous job.

Finally, don't let that woman know she's gotten the best of you. Meaning, don't fall into depression or suicidal thinking over her actions. She's definitely not worth it. She's a sad character.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
For what it's worth, I agree with the statements about the company you wanted to work for. The company is doing things bass-ackwards to offer you a job and then contact references. And then to rescind the offer. Can we say disorganized and unprofessional? So, despite your financial situation, it's truly no great loss.

Have you tried a temp agency like Accountemps (if it still exists)? Temping is better than unemployment checks.

Also, if a potential employer insists on calling a current employer for a reference, a less-than-great reference may be unavoidable (depending on the situation). I like the PP idea of having someone check references ahead of time. I also agree with obtaining a copy of your personnel file from the previous job.

Finally, don't let that woman know she's gotten the best of you. Meaning, don't fall into depression or suicidal thinking over her actions. She's definitely not worth it. She's a sad character.

I thought the job offer was only rescinded after a background check. Not after reference check. The reference check is usually before the job offer.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What she did was illegal. Employers and landlords are not allowed give any information pertaining to your character. The only information she was allowed to give out were your dates of employment, and I think your ending salary. The same goes for landlord - all they can say is how long you lived at the residence - nothing else. It can be grounds for a lawsuit. Check with an employment law attorney.
You are so very wrong. If it's true, it can be said--carefully.

Can't Say: Mary was out partying all night every night and was constantly late and hungover and spent half the morning puking instead of doing her work. We told her a bunch of times to get it together--even put it in writing--but she prefered the bottle to her job. Thank God she's gone.

Can say: Mary was terminated after several formal warnings regarding violation of our our written company policy. She is not eligible for rehire.

Same thing with a landlord:

Can't Say: John was a deadbeat who never paid his rent on time and always had creeps hanging out in the apartment, I think he was dealing drugs. He trashed the place before I kicked him out.

Can Say: I got an order of eviction for non-payment of rent, and a further civil judgement due to the damage left in the unit.

See the difference? As long as you are objective and stick to the facts without speculation or personal prejudice, you can give negative information. You need to be very careful not to say anything that would show malice--at that point it would become libelous.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I'm sorry this happened to you. I can't wait for the day when all this turns around and good people can work again.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlnwilsn View Post
Based on what you said, EEOC would not entertain your complaint unless your former boss gave you a bad reference in retaliation for your participating in a protected activity, such as complaining about discrimination (or complaining about health and safety, which falls under OSHA).

At any rate, your former boss is wicked, wicked! I would ask her whether she could give you a good reference. Then, you should check if she is telling the truth by having Hire Guardian (www.employeejusticereport.com) call her up to hear if she will give you a good reference. If she still gives you a bad reference and you believe it is in retaliation, then file a complaint with EEOC or OSHA (for health related matter) and use the report that Hire Guardian gives you to support your retaliation complaint.

You can also fire back at your former boss, by going to www.employeejusticereport.com, an employee advocacy platform, and file a report against her. You can also rate her as well. Reports and Ratings are seen by the whole world. And, this will shame her. This is better than killing yourself!
Are you employed by employeejusticereport.com? Ten posts so far, all repeating the same info in response to posts written by even slightly disgruntled employees.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Not only that, but pulling up some very old threads (a pet peeve of mine.)
I reported her/him/it as a spammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Are you employed by employeejusticereport.com? Ten posts so far, all repeating the same info in response to posts written by even slightly disgruntled employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search