Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM

943 posts, read 3,150,355 times

Advertisements

I am sorry to be blunt but you do not know what you are talking about. The reader of your list of references does not need you to write a novel about your relationship with your professional employment references but it would be helpful to them to understand your relationship and give them something to work with when they plan the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A paragraph? That's absurd. A single sentence is more than enough--when it's not self-explanatory. I don't know any HR people who want to read your autobiography in order to call references.

Let's say your a new college graduate and you have three references. One is the owner of the ice cream parlor you worked at over the summer for four year. You've already got "Sprinkles Ice Cream" on your resume, when you put "John Smith, Owner, Sprinkles Ice Cream" on your references, anyone who can't figure out the relationship shouldn't be calling references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am sorry to be blunt but you do not know what you are talking about. The reader of your list of references does not need you to write a novel about your relationship with your professional employment references but it would be helpful to them to understand your relationship and give them something to work with when they plan the conversation.

Oh please. The resume is in front of them. If the "RECRUITER OR HR PROFESSIONAL" is so daft that they need the applicant to figure out what to ask the prior employer for them, they need to find a new line of work.

Today I called to check references on two people. I had nothing but an application in from of me. It wasn't rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search