Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,421,387 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - Like many unemployed older workers, 64-year old Allan Kellum fears his age has made it harder to find a new job. At a recent job fair, Kellum expressed interest in a supervisory role coordinating an international health assistance program. A recruiter set him straight: "The people applying for that are young."

Older job seekers struggling with age barrier - Careers- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,332,257 times
Well that's depressing but no surprise, I'm 58 and have been unemployed for a year now. I'm current on all new office technologies and look much younger than my age. But when you go to fill out an application...they ask years of graduation and you can't fudge on that as that would be grounds for dismissal if you ever got hired.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:01 PM

146 posts, read 1,009,288 times
Tell me about it, my husband has had a dozen interviews in the last year, some of them phone interviews in which he gets a second, in person interview. But he hasn't had a single job offer. He is 57. One interviewer actually asked him if he planned to retire in the near future! It is just predjudice, plain and simple!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 PM

51,696 posts, read 15,639,741 times
Hubby who is 55 started a new job 2 weeks ago and told me tonight the plant is moving to NY next year so of course we are worried. Back in 07 he lost his job due to a plant closure after working there for 12 years and now this. Alot of places just want the young bloods now and it's not fair!!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,489,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON - Like many unemployed older workers, 64-year old Allan Kellum fears his age has made it harder to find a new job. At a recent job fair, Kellum expressed interest in a supervisory role coordinating an international health assistance program. A recruiter set him straight: "The people applying for that are young."

Older job seekers struggling with age barrier - Careers- msnbc.com
Really. Old. News.

Age discrimination has been around for quite awhile. Seen it myself.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,489,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Well that's depressing but no surprise, I'm 58 and have been unemployed for a year now. I'm current on all new office technologies and look much younger than my age. But when you go to fill out an application...they ask years of graduation and you can't fudge on that as that would be grounds for dismissal if you ever got hired.

They get your birthdate, with the financial, credit, and background history. That's as good as asking your age.
I can't wait till these morons get older, and have to find a job and are subject to their own rules of the game.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
the scary part if you have been in a high paid job for the last 25 years retire and go out and try to get another one, you have magically become walmart greeter material.
here is some cynical humor, i solomnly affirm, i have done this. while still in your high paid job, (where you had a fair amount of authority) on your day off put on some old clothes and go to the lobby of a sister office. listen to the smerks and giggles about the old bald headed fool/bum in the lobby when they think you are out of earshot.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 AM

146 posts, read 1,009,288 times
Yes, after my husband lost his 70 thousand dollar a year job, the only thing he could get hired at was as a wal-mart greeter. A Master's degree and 20 years experience but could only get on at Wal mart. Something is really wrong in our society with the way we view age and value.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,400,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
Yes, after my husband lost his 70 thousand dollar a year job, the only thing he could get hired at was as a wal-mart greeter. A Master's degree and 20 years experience but could only get on at Wal mart. Something is really wrong in our society with the way we view age and value.
hrrmmm i'm not in your age group...but in similar wage/education... can't get anything right now.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post

So your husband never developed any contacts during his time making $70,000? Just seems strange someone would have t settle for Walmart with his salary history and education background
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search