Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 9,877 times

Advertisements

Like how many would there be.
Seems like it might not be good etiquette?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Bad form, I wouldn't do it. At the end of an interview you could ask if they will be interviewing other candidates and when they might be making a decision, that's as far as I'd go with it.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
I do it at every interview. Whenever asked if I have any questions at the end of the interview, I always ask two simple questions to ease my worries.

1. How many people am I going up against?
2. How long should I expect to wait to hear whether or not I go the job?

I think these questions are totally appropriate, and greatly ease my worrying. Also keep in mind I interview for pretty much gov't jobs exclusively, so it might be different for whatever field you are in.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I do it at every interview. Whenever asked if I have any questions at the end of the interview, I always ask two simple questions to ease my worries.

I think these questions are totally appropriate, and greatly ease my worrying. Also keep in mind I interview for pretty much gov't jobs exclusively, so it might be different for whatever field you are in.

I would never ask those questions because the first one shows I'm concerned about my competition and the second shows a lack of confidence. JMO

Old 07-12-2009, 06:11 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
When asked if you have any questions I feel it's best to focus on the position and ask questions pertinent to the job. Many will tell you that they have other applicants to interview and hope to make a decision by a certain date. Showing interest in the job and the company, not other candidates, is what is important.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
When asked if you have any questions I feel it's best to focus on the position and ask questions pertinent to the job. Many will tell you that they have other applicants to interview and hope to make a decision by a certain date. Showing interest in the job and the company, not other candidates, is what is important.
I agree. What good is it do ask about other applicants? It makes you seem like you are trying to get some inside information or dirt.

How does one ask? Do you say "I wonder how many people you are interviewing for this job?"
Asking about when they will make a decision, however, shows interest. It's a good one.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
I'd wait till the end of the interview and ask when the next steps are. Usually they would say something like we are interviewing 2 other candidates, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post

I agree with you, as I also had an interview, and felt I had the right at the end to know. That way I would keep searching, or not. Anyway, when I asked when I would know, I was told today, within an hour. I went home, got the call I had the job.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
At the end of the interview, I always asked:
  • How soon will you be making a decision for filling this position?
No pressure to the interviewer but also gives a timeline to the prospective employee.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
At the end of the interview, I always asked:
  • How soon will you be making a decision for filling this position?
No pressure to the interviewer but also gives a timeline to the prospective employee.
That's pretty much what I have always done. At that time they usually indicate that they've got more applicants to interview or they're done with the process and ready to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search