Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 AM

406 posts, read 559,507 times

Advertisements

I get 4 weeks vacation, 1 week PTO, 2 weeks sick, 1 volunteer day, and 2 weeks sick time. Add in flex-time and work from home ability and you've got a happy American here. This is the starting amount, I get more after 5 or 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM

322 posts, read 384,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
I get 4 weeks vacation, 1 week PTO, 2 weeks sick, 1 volunteer day, and 2 weeks sick time. Add in flex-time and work from home ability and you've got a happy American here. This is the starting amount, I get more after 5 or 6 years.
I am jealous in a good way. Glad to hear there are companies out there that value their employees enough to offer that tier of benefits.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
So I'm half American half Danish, I hold 2 passports, but I'm planning on moving back to the States for job reason soon. When I was 15 I moved to Denmark and have remained there into my early 20's. The area I want to work in (advertisement/marketing/PR) is limited in Denmark and I have some job opportunities set up back in the US.

But one thing terrible I've learned about America is that the majority of Americans get just a paltry 2 weeks off!!! In Denmark, by law, it is required that all citizens receive 5-6 weeks paid vacation (4 weeks off by the law in the EU). The law is so that workers are insured quality of time with their family and that companies are not exploiting the hell out of them, as well as making sure the whole rat race mentality doesn't allow that bc one person takes vacation and another doesn't, they should loose their job.

People have been telling me that in the US it's looked down upon to take vacation and you're considered "lazy" by doing so. I still can't grasp the idea of just 2 weeks...it seems so little, what are you supposed to do with that?

The thing is, travel has ALWAYS been my passion. I love visiting new cultures and exploring the world. By just 2 weeks I can't do any of that...and it's depressing to me that the whole of EU gets so much time off and to enjoy life but in America everyone is a slave to the corporation.

So my question is, how true is this point? Are there major companies that are more generous? Or is 2 weeks the rule? Is there no other alternative? What about UNpaid time off, can an employee ask for such thing?

This is a major deterrent for wanting to move back to the US, my quality of life is vital!
IF I lived in Denmark right now NOTHING on this Earth would convince me to move to the US. Americans are the most exploited workers in the world. You say 2 weeks? I laugh...my husband barely has had a week and had to work remotely while in vacation! A lot of people get no vacation at all...actually we need sick days and all that and we don't get any...we are discriminated against like you can't begin to imagine...

Stay in Denmark; trust me, you'll thank me later...

BTW We also don't get any maternity leave; so avoid having kids here. Some companies offer a ridiculous tree to 6 weeks!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
You're 1 in a million+. Consider yourself insanely lucky.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
At my new job I now get 8 hours of vacation a month plus 8 hours of sick time a month. It just continues to accrue. After a certain point though, they will convert some of your vacation time to sick time, how much you can carry forward is dependent on how long you've worked for the company.

We also get New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas off. There are also about 4 minor holidays that we only need a skeleton crew working, so you get that day off with pay, or if you work you earn 8 extra hours of paid time off. This past year the office shut down at noon (with pay for the extra 4 hours) on the day before Thanksgiving, and the day before Christmas Eve. We also got an extra day off with pay on the Friday before Easter. They even gave us 4 hours paid that we could go Christmas shopping with.

I've been here almost a year now, and with all the days off with pay, I haven't felt like I needed my usual vacation. Next year I will have to look at taking time off so I don't overshoot my rollover allowance.

Last edited by molochai2580; 08-13-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
What kind of nut would move from Denmark to the US? That's like an American moving to Guatemala.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I lucked out in my current job. No vacation policy. Basically my boss told me she wasn't sure when the holidays were, so just tie them off when I see fit. Vacation and so on were all fine with warning. I've taken 12 or 13 days off in my first 10 months!

And another weird cultural quirk? People can work from home, but oddly no one wants to schedule meetings with you if you are working from home. They just wait for you to get back in the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search