U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,244,594 times

Advertisements

i want to emphasis my youth: 24.

i think it will give me an advantage over an older person vying for the same position if we meet the general requirements for the job in terms of academics.

does anyone put age on the resume, or birth date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,763,199 times
It could also backfire. Maybe you will not get jobs because they think you are too young.
Not a good idea in my opinion, but let's hear what others have to say.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
I don't think it's a good idea. Youth can also work against you.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 PM

973 posts, read 2,973,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

i think it will give me an advantage over an older person vying for the same position if we meet the general requirements for the job in terms of academics.

Seriously???

I hate to break it to you but youth isn't much, if any advantage unless you are vying for the Miss America title. THEN you may have an advantage.

If you meet the general requirements for the job, you will still need to interview. So will the "older" person you are competing with.

If I was interviewing a 24 year old, fresh out of college and a 35 year old with a degree AND 10-12 years of experience in the workforce, I'd be looking much harder at the 35 year old to fill the position. They have experience.

A degree is great and I applaud your efforts to obtain one but don't fool yourself into thinking that is all there is to it. The experience that you gain in "real life" as opposed to reading about it in a book are invaluable. You will learn this yourself one day.

Employers could care less about your age unless you are a doddering old goat with one foot in the grave. To oversimplify, they want someone who will come to work each day, have a good attitude & perform the functions they were hired to do.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM

5,527 posts, read 8,969,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

The fact that you feel emphasizing your youth as an "advantage" over a more mature/senior person shows that your youth and inexperience is a detriment to you.

Do not put your age on the resume. It's irrelevant (at least it should be) to hiring managers.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 PM

33,896 posts, read 42,133,814 times
Putting your graduation date will give the interviewer a rough idea of your age, anyway.

I know that "common knowledge" says that employers are looking to cut salaries and an older worker will probably command a higher salary. But with that higher salary comes more experience which smart employers like.

In my experience in education younger teachers all have issues, which older hires don't, revolving around:
1. their personal life
2. college homecoming
3. fraternity/sorority events
4. their personal life, again
5. thinking they're still in college and having the lifestyle (mid-week drinking) that entails
6. lack of life experience
7. their personal life, again
8. always needing to take Fridays and Mondays off

As someone else mentioned, you even thinking your young age and inexperience is an advantage shows-well, inexperience.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM

5,527 posts, read 8,969,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Putting your graduation date will give the interviewer a rough idea of your age, anyway.

I know that "common knowledge" says that employers are looking to cut salaries and an older worker will probably command a higher salary. But with that higher salary comes more experience which smart employers like.

In my experience in education younger teachers all have issues, which older hires don't, revolving around:
1. their personal life
2. college homecoming
3. fraternity/sorority events
4. their personal life, again
5. thinking they're still in college and having the lifestyle (mid-week drinking) that entails
6. lack of life experience
7. their personal life, again
8. always needing to take Fridays and Mondays off

As someone else mentioned, you even thinking your young age and inexperience is an advantage shows-well, inexperience.
Let's not forget about teachers sleeping with students (not sure what age group you would be teaching but it's running wild out there) plus the whole Social Media aspect that a lot of teachers get in trouble for as well.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:06 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,200,198 times
In most cases it's not appropriate although if you're applying for an organization that caters to a younger crowd like Zumiez, then some indication to your age such as the year you graduated from high school would definitely be an advantage over an older individual.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,763,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Let's not forget about teachers sleeping with students (not sure what age group you would be teaching but it's running wild out there) plus the whole Social Media aspect that a lot of teachers get in trouble for as well.
As a former teacher this is so repugnant to me. I know this thread is not about this topic but the idea people GET teaching jobs then screw them up by behaving inappropriately toward their students is just so horrid.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,646,140 times
Horrid, yes of course........but, DOES happen! Former teacher or not, someone was just stating the truth about that profession.
As far as the OP question goes.........NO WAY, NO HOW I would!! Is that a straight forward enough answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
As a former teacher this is so repugnant to me. I know this thread is not about this topic but the idea people GET teaching jobs then screw them up by behaving inappropriately toward their students is just so horrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or