Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,631,255 times

Advertisements

Alright I thought this would be a helpful post for people currently seeking jobs. What are the best ways to follow up on an application? Personally, the day after I turn the application in I either call up the business or just simply go there, I introduce myself, give them my name, tell them I just applied the other day, and than I'll give them my phone number again even though I already put it on my application. If I get no response I'll check in with the business a couple days later mainly doing the same things over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM

302 posts, read 883,162 times
I contact a person directly in the department of the job I applied for. I tell them I am following up on my application, that I am extremely interested in the position, give them a VERY brief (like 2 sentences) schpeel about how qualified I am, and ask if I can either mail them a hard copy or personally send them an email of my resume and cover letter (this is assuming I completed an online application). Then, I ask when I could hope to hear about an interview.

Especially when sending in an online application, I think it shows you are interested when you actually track down someone in that department to speak with them. Keep it short, be positive, and sell yourself.

This Follow Up All Job Leads: Don't Wait by the Phone was also a great read on how to follow up.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,290,952 times
I send an email after a day or two to make sure they received it and to see if I can supply them with anything else. Sometimes I will call...just depends.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
I think this is ok if you are employed but as a unemployed person you may appear too desperate.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,867,031 times
I would wait two days, then walk in (I'm assuming this is for a retail/food service job the OP is applying for) during a slower time of the day (late afternoon for retail, between 2:00-3:00 for food service) and ask for the manager. Shake their hand and introduce yourself. Tell them you put in an application two days prior and are very interested in working for their company because...

"You are interested in a career in retail management and want to learn from the ground up"
"You understand that they offer a great ongoing training program and you are interested in a long term career with the company"
"You really like their product and want to represent your enthusiasm for it by working for the company"

Etc.

Then ask if they ahve had a chance to look at your resume. Regardless of the answer to that, tell themn you appreciate that you have dropped in and interupted their day, but want to make an appointment later in the week to come back at their convenience to go over your qualifications. This let's them know that you understand they are busy, but almost puts them on the spot to give you a time and day to come back.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times
Any good results on these tips?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,722,507 times
sending resumes along with cover letters. i read from a book that just sending resumes randomly is a bad idea

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
sending resumes along with cover letters. i read from a book that just sending resumes randomly is a bad idea
Do you really believe companies read cover letters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search