Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 13,566 times

Advertisements

I get so sick and tired of all the moaning and groaning from the job hunters on this board who can not understand why they do not get hired. I got the answer! YOU WERE NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER APPLICANTS!!

This is not the Bill Clinton Economic Boom when basically anyone who had a breath could get a job. This is the GREAT RECESSION. The worst economy and job market since the 1930s.

Face it, you have to be much better to get a job now days. Any job, even minimum wage positions have maybe a 100 applicants.

Then why doesn't the typical person do something to make them a better applicant? What have you done this week to make your self a more competitive applicant for employment? Even if you have a full time job today, that means nothing. You may be laid off tomorrow.

What have you done to make your self a more competitive applicant for a job? Tell us?

(Hiring manager, who has lots of good jobs to fill, but you better be good!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
pants down tattoos gold chains and piercing & a truckload of attitude dont help--- rethink that image. what is sexy on the hood wont get you a paycheck.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Anyone think this OP sounds like Weekend...?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiring Manager View Post
I get so sick and tired of all the moaning and groaning from the job hunters on this board who can not understand why they do not get hired. I got the answer! YOU WERE NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER APPLICANTS!!

This is not the Bill Clinton Economic Boom when basically anyone who had a breath could get a job. This is the GREAT RECESSION. The worst economy and job market since the 1930s.

Face it, you have to be much better to get a job now days. Any job, even minimum wage positions have maybe a 100 applicants.

Then why doesn't the typical person do something to make them a better applicant? What have you done this week to make your self a more competitive applicant for employment? Even if you have a full time job today, that means nothing. You may be laid off tomorrow.

What have you done to make your self a more competitive applicant for a job? Tell us?

(Hiring manager, who has lots of good jobs to fill, but you better be good!)
Well FYI I do volunteer work, am enrolled in college, and when I go into a store or business to get an application I make sure I dress up and also when I turn the application in. And than I make sure I follow up on applications. For example I applied at a McDonalds yesterday and already checked in today. No hiring manager was in. So I'll call them tommorow. And yes some of us get mad because we are sick of living poor and are trying to do something to change it, but we are being told we're not good enough. Also being a 17 year old myself, teenagers constantly have to listen to criticism for being lazy. I don't like that kind of judgement because Im doing everything I can to get a job right now, including working with an organization that helps youth with job training.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:29 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
Optimistic and giving more detail if possible in my application. I want to follow up on an application I put in at Target, but I don't know how I should address the HR.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
People, do not feed the T ... do not feed the weekend T!!!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
I do. Man, this one is persistent!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
You can only alter your writing skills so much...use of questions was something WT often employed to 'troll up' the forums..

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
People, do not feed the T ... do not feed the weekend T!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I do. Man, this one is persistent!
Quote:
You can only alter your writing skills so much...use of questions was something WT often employed to 'troll up' the forums..
The minute I saw the thread title and name under it, I thought to myself "Self, this sounds like WT."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search