Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,539,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
The other thing is to try and steer clear of the Target mishap. Do the best you can to not step on their toes and say anything bad about Target, or why you arent working there anymore. Don't bad mouth the store, and don't mention the bad supervisor, the bad manager, the people out to get you. If it comes up, do your best to come up with a positive reason why you don't work there anymore. ie, closer to school, home, a job with a future. If you say anything negative about Target, then the people at Best Buy will think you are going to do the same about them. Hopefully the HR at target has already given the greenlight on your past performance and you should only have to say, I didn't see myself going anywhere at Target, but, I see a future at BestBuy.
Thank you. Yes, I did not mention Target at all more than what was needed.

Like they asked me how I liked Target and I said I loved it. That is not a lie. It is true. I miss it and do regret ringing up gum during break. I really did love it there. So when I answered it, I was being sincere.

They have not asked why I do not work there anymore.

I am kind of worried about them calling Target though. What can Target say? I am somewhat concerned because I did not mention anything about not working there anymore and she did not ask.

I am assuming it does not matter because she asked me to come back tomorrow at 2 pm. I am getting prepared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,919,293 times
I have no idea what the Best Buy job application looks like but is there a section where it asks whether or not past employers can be contacted? You probably could have checked 'no'. Im not sure if that would have had a negative impact on the interview process but in all honesty, I would be a bit worried about what Target will say about the gum incident. In any case, start thinking of how you'll answer any questions about it- it just might come up at tomorrows interview (directly or indirectly).

Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I have no idea what the Best Buy job application looks like but is there a section where it asks whether or not past employers can be contacted? You probably could have checked 'no'. Im not sure if that would have had a negative impact on the interview process but in all honesty, I would be a bit worried about what Target will say about the gum incident. In any case, start thinking of how you'll answer any questions about it- it just might come up at tomorrows interview (directly or indirectly).
Shoot. I do not think that I could have checked 'no'. They did not ask.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,043,151 times
Well, most companies to prevent any possible libel/slander suits only will tell a potential employer when called for a job reference, the date of hire and fire, and how much you made, and if you are eligible for rehire - if they say "no" - at least that says "something".

Just depends tho. I've been fired from jobs and never had problems getting any new ones with them on my record to be called for references.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Well, most companies to prevent any possible libel/slander suits only will tell a potential employer when called for a job reference, the date of hire and fire, and how much you made, and if you are eligible for rehire - if they say "no" - at least that says "something".

Just depends tho. I've been fired from jobs and never had problems getting any new ones with them on my record to be called for references.
Do you know if they called your ex employers?

On my record, I have held three jobs and been fired from only one.

Sorry to ask so much. I need this job. Full time college student at University of Michigan....sigh sigh sigh!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Do you know if they called your ex employers?

On my record, I have held three jobs and been fired from only one.

Sorry to ask so much. I need this job. Full time college student at University of Michigan....sigh sigh sigh!
It just depends on the company. Some companies are very thorough and check ALL your references and everything you put on your application. Other companies will just hire you outright and won't check on anything at all - and I've had that happen for me.

It just depends. But also keep in mind you probably weren't the only one they interviewed for a position there, so IF you don't get the job, it may be because you were one of twenty or so other people they had interviewed and they just liked someone else better.

All I'm saying is DON'T get your hopes up...especially in this day and age with the economy being the way it is. I've been on only four interviews in the last three months and felt that I was going to get the job each time and that they "liked" me at the interview and then never got the job. It's a real effed up feeling. So I don't put all my eggs in one basket anymore when it comes to this...JMO

Old 09-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I am headed for the second interview right now.

Wish me luck!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 PM

So.....I have an update.

I got a job offer on the spot!

I am officially working again! YAY!!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,191,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theliberalvoice View Post
so.....i have an update.

I am officially working again! Yay!!!!!

Thank you everyone!
congrats!!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:45 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,919,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So.....I have an update.

I am officially working again! YAY!!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Working again! That's always good. Congratulations. You may now take that sigh of relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search