Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,435 times

Advertisements

Drummer boy you are obviously bitter...and dealing with personal career issues....save message board space for people who actually offer advice...as the initial question asked....thanks again to everyone who posted positive, truthful advice...I contacted the human resources director at my old job and she informed me it us being considered a no fault release..and that the dept wanted to go in a differnt direction with no fault, of my own hence the reason I was approved for unemployment..so i think I will offer up that they wanted to take the dept in a new direction and my old job will not be filled...thanks again everyone for your constructive advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 AM

133 posts, read 626,913 times
You did the right thing by contacting your former HR department. You do not want to say anything misleading in an interview because when it is time for reference checking the truth will come out. If a company feels a candidate is lying, it's over.

Be prepared to address this short tenure in your last position when you interview but don’t bring it up unless you are asked about it. Do not speak poorly of your former company and simply state that it was a good learning opportunity (be prepared to give examples of what you learned) and the company decided to go in a different direction.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligal12345 View Post
Drummer boy you are obviously bitter...and dealing with personal career issues....save message board space for people who actually offer advice...as the initial question asked....thanks again to everyone who posted positive, truthful advice...I contacted the human resources director at my old job and she informed me it us being considered a no fault release..and that the dept wanted to go in a differnt direction with no fault, of my own hence the reason I was approved for unemployment..so i think I will offer up that they wanted to take the dept in a new direction and my old job will not be filled...thanks again everyone for your constructive advice..
LOL--sorry to disappoint you Cali, but my "personal career issues" have never been better: I'm a self-employed personal trainer and I posted my best year last year. Butthe valid issue here is: I was an HR exec and then a headhunter in a private firm for years before giving up the rat race, and I simply recognized your type from the wordings in your letter, and thought perhaps I could impart some advice for you. You can take it or leave it. But please know that I used to be paid very well for asessing personality types, and you came across as overly defensive and you also minced words and used euphenisms--all negatives in the interviewing process. I still stand by my original asessment: you ticked off the wrong person in your job and they canned you for it. Or they simply tired of the smarmy sense of entitlement you--and many young people, have a habit of exuding. Go ahead and try to CYA with your old HR, it's cool.
Peace.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
LOL--sorry to disappoint you Cali, but my "personal career issues" have never been better: I'm a self-employed personal trainer and I posted my best year last year. Butthe valid issue here is: I was an HR exec and then a headhunter in a private firm for years before giving up the rat race, and I simply recognized your type from the wordings in your letter, and thought perhaps I could impart some advice for you. You can take it or leave it. But please know that I used to be paid very well for asessing personality types, and you came across as overly defensive and you also minced words and used euphenisms--all negatives in the interviewing process. I still stand by my original asessment: you ticked off the wrong person in your job and they canned you for it. Or they simply tired of the smarmy sense of entitlement you--and many young people, have a habit of exuding. Go ahead and try to CYA with your old HR, it's cool.
Peace.

You do make some good points because I was pissed at my layoff in january. People who were not laid off said-"don't take it personal" and that made me more mad because I could I not take it personal when some people were still there and I wasn"t? So you are right they probably felt I wasn't worth my salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search