Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times

Advertisements

I'm sticking up for Gypsy. She had a phone conversation that specifically stated the hours before the interview. There's nothing inflexible about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
While it would have been nice for HR to say "8-4 three days a week, start 6:30 AM one day a week and end 6:30 PM one day a week", it's not the end of the world. If you don't want to go on any more interviews, you are going to be unemployed forever.

In this job market, if you are so inflexible that you cannot start 90 minutes sooner, you are going to have a very tough time finding work. Sorry but that's real life.
Let me guess, you're a guy, probably in your 20s or 30s, no family to worry about, no kids, you CAN do any job any time...

Lying to get people 'to an interview' is already a big red flag in my book.

I'll still be looking for work, I was just annoyed yesterday. I guess no one else gets frustrated in a job search.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 AM

70 posts, read 136,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Let me guess, you're a guy, probably in your 20s or 30s, no family to worry about, no kids, you CAN do any job any time...

I'll still be looking for work, I was just annoyed yesterday. I guess no one else gets frustrated in a job search.
And if they lied to you about that, imagine what else they would lie about. You did the right thing. I hope that you take my advice about looking into a work from home situation or your own business. I'm not sure if you're aware of places like sologig.com and such but they offer opportunities (albeit some of them low paying at first) to work as an independent consultant.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
And if they lied to you about that, imagine what else they would lie about. You did the right thing. I hope that you take my advice about looking into a work from home situation or your own business. I'm not sure if you're aware of places like sologig.com and such but they offer opportunities (albeit some of them low paying at first) to work as an independent consultant.
Thanks, I have to sit down later and really think this out.
It's not my intention to 'argue' with people who think 'this or that.' We all do what is best for us in our own situations.

I remember being young and single and working a job till 2 am (our hours varied) and because I was YOUNG and SINGLE I could do it. Now I have other priorities.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I'm so sorry they lied to you and wasted your time. That is so frustrating! I guess you should be thankful you do not have to work for such people. I'd imagine that this was just the tip of the iceberg for this employer. Best wishes.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

We all have our frustrations. The poster you responded to started a great post in the education forum about the "career change into teaching" program he was in and how it had some empty promises so I think he's with you more than it might seem.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
We all have our frustrations. The poster you responded to started a great post in the education forum about the "career change into teaching" program he was in and how it had some empty promises so I think he's with you more than it might seem.
Oh, I'm sure.
I know so many people here have worse stories than mine. It's just sad we--the unemployed--are getting treated so horribly by employers. I remember the days when they couldn't find bodies to fill jobs and hope someday soon the tide turns.

I am a big believer in karma so treat someone badly this time around and next time, well, who knows?

The one thing this did was make me soured on this 'business' I went to interview at--if anyone EVER asks me about it, I will tell them they are very, very unprofessional.

In a small town it is not good to operate your business this way. Okay, I don't 'know anyone' of influence but you never know what the future holds.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I am sure it was innocent on their part. You are making them out to be conspiritors in this, when in reality, they probably just said something when you asked about the hours on the phone, and in the interview they took the time to look up the actual hours. It is more lazy than straight out lying. When you heard it would be longer hours what did you do? I hope you calmly mentioned you have a family and cannot work past xx time every day and that you were under the impression that the hours would be different from a previous phone interview. Getting 'livid' over this seems irrational. The right thing to do is calmly negotiate different hours, and if that doesn't work shake the interviewer's hand and move on. If I were the employer I wouldn't want someone working for me who gets this angry over a simple miscommunication.

Also, why can't you negotiate a slightly higher salary to make up for the fact that you would be working the extra hours? Use the extra money to pay for a few hours of day care a couple of days per week and you are good.

I am sorry, but I see countless ways you could have approached this better than just giving up on the job.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am sure it was innocent on their part. You are making them out to be conspiritors in this, when in reality, they probably just said something when you asked about the hours on the phone, and in the interview they took the time to look up the actual hours. It is more lazy than straight out lying. When you heard it would be longer hours what did you do? I hope you calmly mentioned you have a family and cannot work past xx time every day and that you were under the impression that the hours would be different from a previous phone interview. Getting 'livid' over this seems irrational. The right thing to do is calmly negotiate different hours, and if that doesn't work shake the interviewer's hand and move on. If I were the employer I wouldn't want someone working for me who gets this angry over a simple miscommunication.

Also, why can't you negotiate a slightly higher salary to make up for the fact that you would be working the extra hours? Use the extra money to pay for a few hours of day care a couple of days per week and you are good.

I am sorry, but I see countless ways you could have approached this better than just giving up on the job.
First off, you're 100% wrong. I spoke with the DIRECTOR of the facility. There is no HR. They only have 5 lead teachers. They can't 'remember' the hours of the job???

I asked 2 times for clarification for the hours of the job. I was told verbally "8-4...is that good for you?"

I said, "Yes, those hours are ideal."

During the interview she suddenly changed 'what the responsibilities' would be. I looked at her and said, "You told me on the phone 8-4."

The other person doing the interview started to try to convince me how great it was to come in late one day and early another.

I explained AGAIN the hours were not acceptable because I had a family and commitments.

AT NO TIME was I offered the job or even told 'sorry we wasted your time.' They just shrugged and the director said "Okay," and I left calmly. (I went home and got pissed off like any NORMAL person would have..sorry, we are not all robots...)

I don't get the few of you too dense to realize I was LIED to just to get me in to the interview. I was honest with them about what I could bring to their organization and they were not LAZY...they lied, lied, lied.

I have a ****ing masters degree in the field I would have been working in. Most of their staff just finished high school. I am sure they were probably paying crap money, too. It's typical of that sort of organization. There is no 'negotiations' for 'better pay' in these situations.

I don't need daycare for my 11 year old. I just need a normal job like I have had in the past where you start at one time and work till another. Not bull****. Is that really too much to ask in 2009??

I'm not justifying how I feel anymore. Anyone with half a brain can see the problem here.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-08-2009 at 06:51 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Lame.

it seems like even if they tried to throw the other hours out at you, if they were really interested in YOU as someone to be a part of their company, they could have at least tried to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search