Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Well you have to know the human resources director or the CEO if you want to get an easy way in. Where do you meet human resource directors and CEO's?
Same place you'd meet anyone. Church, biker bars, wine bars, rock concerts, charity events, professional enrichment events, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
What is a "biker bar"? A bar for cyclists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Same place you'd meet anyone. Church, biker bars, wine bars, rock concerts, charity events, professional enrichment events, you name it.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is a "biker bar"? A bar for cyclists?
A bar where a lot of motorcyclists hang out. There are a lot of them in this area.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Showing up at a place of business out of the blue to drop a resume to who? The Receptionist? Regardless it's strange to me and I don't recommend it.
Depends on the job and qualifications.

If you got skills that few have it's the way to go.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Creative Networking not a desperate attempt at networking.
What methods do you recommend? Since you are the professed expert and a career counselor, I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What methods do you recommend? Since you are the professed expert and a career counselor, I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Going to a website for a company and if you come across a name that says send resume to.....

If go to facebook or any other social networking site to see who on your facebook page may know the person so hey can talk to them about you.

That was my next strategy but I ended up finding a job so I never did it but try it and see if it works

Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Going to a website for a company and if you come across a name that says send resume to.....

If go to facebook or any other social networking site to see who on your facebook page may know the person so hey can talk to them about you.

That was my next strategy but I ended up finding a job so I never did it but try it and see if it works
Emailing and face booking? Are these the ONLY networking tools you'd utilize in a job search? Honey, there's much more to networking than online methods.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM

In my opinion, networking needs to be a combination of Internet and actual face time.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Emailing and face booking? Are these the ONLY networking tools you'd utilize in a job search? Honey, there's much more to networking than online methods.
That was just one of them, another one was causally bringing up to my barber that I was looking for work and he asked for a copy of my resume to give to a certain person im my field.

But the main thing is you have to THINK for yourself. No one is going to tell lay out a outline on how to find a job. It's up to you to think out of the box and come up with new ways to find employment

Old 06-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In my opinion, networking needs to be a combination of Internet and actual face time.
I agree. When I started out in my industry, I had no contacts. I looked up several organizations and located the email addresses of several key persons. I then emailed them inquiring about volunteer opportunities to gain experience to enhance my qualifications and to fulfill internship requirements in my masters program. I receive lots of responses and arranged a meeting with a few of these contact. I eventually landed several valuable internships that lead to my current positions. Because of this experience, it did not take long for me to get hired by one of these organizations after completing my masters degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search