Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 AM

927 posts, read 875,659 times

Advertisements

They can. They've got all the power right now. Huge demand and little supply. Those who actually have a position open can get a fantastic worker for it. People with MBA's are taking 28k/year positions.

I was just told that I "didn't meet minimum qualifications" for a position whose only qualifications were the completion of the 9th grade and one year of experience. Huh. I have a Bachelor's Degree and 2 (going on 3) years of experience.

But they can do that because there's probably someone with 10 years of experience available for the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM

23,932 posts, read 10,282,201 times
When you are done with the pitty party - what were the actual requirements and what are your actual qualifications?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,305,492 times
Maybe soon Americans will realize that we can't all have MBA's and we need people in this country that actually work as LABOR.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Maybe soon Americans will realize that we can't all have MBA's and we need people in this country that actually work as LABOR.
But then how will all these universities profit by pushing as many students through, misleading them there is a job waiting for them in non applicable majors as possible?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,305,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But then how will all these universities profit by pushing as many students through, misleading them there is a job waiting for them in non applicable majors as possible?
I'm sure they'll find a way!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,302,453 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean technical labor, right? All the menial labor jobs are reserved for illegals and migrant workers.

MBAs have definitely been oversold though. I think it's just that it takes time for job supply/demand data to show through to us. MBAs were a sure fire way to make a hefty salary about 5-10 years ago. So, there was a huge influx in admissions at B-Schools. By the time these folks graduated, the market was already flooded with MBAs. Now the new rave is healthcare. So, whadya know, everyone's enrolling in nursing and other technical healthcare programs. Before long, this labor market will also be flooded, so it'll be too late for many of the folks that are only half way through their programs. It's difficult to know what will be a hot career path four or five years down the road after you graduate.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
They can. They've got all the power right now. Huge demand and little supply. Those who actually have a position open can get a fantastic worker for it. People with MBA's are taking 28k/year positions.

I was just told that I "didn't meet minimum qualifications" for a position whose only qualifications were the completion of the 9th grade and one year of experience. Huh. I have a Bachelor's Degree and 2 (going on 3) years of experience.

But they can do that because there's probably someone with 10 years of experience available for the position.
Actually I'd bet that they didn't hire you because they know that the second you find something else (and you're going to keep looking) you'll bolt, probably with zero notice.

Employers want to hire someone who will appreciate the job and stick around. Over-qualified individuals don't fit that ticket.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,736,791 times
Quote:
Despite the recession, tuition is still going up.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 PM

163 posts, read 418,962 times
Quote:
you mean cheap labor from Mexico? Seeing how non MBAs think they have the right to earn $100 for menial labor jobs.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times
The universities will keep lying and misleading as they usually do.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search