Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM

245 posts, read 583,751 times

Advertisements

This is actually the WORST time to fake your resume.
Companies are actually doing the background checks that they usually blow off,because they need so few workers.
If you want to be embarrassed,send in a fake or inflated resume these days and see what happens.

Now if you were open your own BUSINESS and use that as a reference or to cover time periods when you were unemployed, had a number of jobs in a short period of time or were...umm.."an employee of the county or the state" then that MIGHT fly.

NOTE: I do not endorse, nor condone, resume fraud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM

83 posts, read 176,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitout View Post
Most of the times I tend to overreact in my resume and then figure how to do it later.

When I was applying for a delivery driver position I told them I had 5+ years of experience, I named a few companies and so forth although I've never been in a van . If I hadn't do it, I wouldn't have gotten the job.

When I was applying for a nursing job I lied about my experience. I had 2,5 years and I pumped it up to 6 adding various departments and other stuff. I got the job.

When I was in Dubai looking for a job I faked my resume completely. I lied about everything. I was working as a massage therapist and as a personal fitness trainer although I didn't have proper education and experience.

When I was applying for a web developer position in my country I lied about working in Dubai for 3 years as a LAMP developer giving my friend's phone number as a reference. I got the job and worked my ass off day and night to get "back on track" with all the coding I've missed out in the past few years.

So I tweak it a "little" bit. With all the competition we face today, nobody is giving me lectures on morals and whatnot. If you want to be moral, go to church. I'm here for the money baby and I'll do anything to get the job.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,617,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
This is actually the WORST time to fake your resume.
Companies are actually doing the background checks that they usually blow off,because they need so few workers.

If you want to be embarrassed,send in a fake or inflated resume these days and see what happens.

Now if you were open your own BUSINESS and use that as a reference or to cover time periods when you were unemployed, had a number of jobs in a short period of time or were...umm.."an employee of the county or the state" then that MIGHT fly.

NOTE: I do not endorse, nor condone, resume fraud
They sure are doing more checks. Plus I have known a few to have lost out on jobs due to lying on their resume.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
What you need to remember is that even if you get away with it enough to be hired, you have handed the employer a perfect excuse to fire you down the line, for untruthfulness. It happens, even years later..

Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM

You are right about that eureka.

Plus not to mention that you will be paranoid every day worrying if they will catch on to your lies.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

239 posts, read 892,124 times
You people are so naive. Thousands of people who lied on their resume and application are being hired every day and getting away with it! If they did not lie they would not even be considered, so it is a moral choice and a nothing ventured nothing gained situation. If they are found out and not hired other than feeling bad about a lie that did not work out they lost nothing because without the lie they would not have got to first base. if they were hired after lying on their resume and found out a few months later then to bad but they are still ahead because for a few months they have a paycheck and something to do during the work day and some additional experience.

I see lying on a resume and employment application as a win win situation unless they have a moral argument against it.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
You people are so naive. Thousands of people who lied on their resume and application are being hired every day and getting away with it! If they did not lie they would not even be considered, so it is a moral choice and a nothing ventured nothing gained situation. If they are found out and not hired other than feeling bad about a lie that did not work out they lost nothing because without the lie they would not have got to first base. if they were hired after lying on their resume and found out a few months later then to bad but they are still ahead because for a few months they have a paycheck and something to do during the work day and some additional experience.

I see lying on a resume and employment application as a win win situation unless they have a moral argument against it.
You people? Please.

Post data that shows thousands are being hired everyday by lying on their resume.

Anyone that gets caught lying on their resume and it is found out will most likely be fired and will not receive unemployment. Furthermore, you can't really be certain that the employer that fired you for lying won't spill the beans to other potential employers. It's a lose-lose situation and very risky.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
You people? Please.

Post data that shows thousands are being hired everyday by lying on their resume.

Anyone that gets caught lying on their resume and it is found out will most likely be fired and will not receive unemployment. Furthermore, you can't really be certain that the employer that fired you for lying won't spill the beans to other potential employers. It's a lose-lose situation and very risky.
Agreed, I'd have no qualms immediately dismissing anyone who lied to get a job. What else are they going to lie about? Stealing company property?

And I'd have ZERO problem telling anyone who called for a reference that the person was terminated when we discovered how embellished their resume actually was. As long as it's true, you can say it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM

14 posts, read 50,947 times
Default How to fake a resume

www.screwtherecruiter.com

Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 AM

239 posts, read 892,124 times
But remember where most people who are lying on their resume start with, unemployed, broke and desparate. If you get hired and work a few months and then are found out you are still ahead because you had a few months of steady employment. I doubt the employer is going to write a letter to every possible employer telling them that Steve Johnson was fired for lying on his application and resume and to blacklist him as a result!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
You people? Please.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search