U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,209,963 times

Advertisements

Should I omit the date of my college graduation on my resume? - But they still can figure out my age through work history dates?

It seems there is age discrimination after 40. I interviewed at one job and the younger guy interviewing me freaked at my college graduation date and figured I was around 40. But I'm healthy and not overweight and I still look young. Seems my age was partly the reason why I didn't get this job.

So how about you? Did you experience age discrimination once past 40? Or because of dates on your resume?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,242,216 times
Even if you omit the date, surely they are going to be able to figure out the date approximately by your work history dates? Even if you look younger than you are, do you look whatever age you think is not discriminated against?

I don't know that I would take such a drastic step over one interviewer. If he was young enough to be freaked out over someone who graduated in 1990 or thereabouts (see, I can do it, I didn't need to see your graduation date) , he was probably also young enough to be inexperienced and nervous. Nervousness can make people repeat things that get stuck in their head. Chances are he was embarrassed afterwards. Or didn't even realize how much he'd repeated himself.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,087,435 times
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Should I omit the date of my college graduation on my resume? - But they still can figure out my age through work history dates?

It seems there is age discrimination after 40. I interviewed at one job and the younger guy interviewing me freaked at my college graduation date and figured I was around 40. But I'm healthy and not overweight and I still look young. Seems my age was partly the reason why I didn't get this job.

So how about you? Did you experience age discrimination once past 40? Or because of dates on your resume?
Wish I had your problem, but I digress...
IMO if it's been longer than 10-15 years since college, leave it out. Is it possible for you to omit the older employment so the work history dates won't give away your age? I realize this may not be an option for you if your work is all relevant.

I'd like to remove the job I had from 91-00 from my resume to appear younger but I need to show that experience sometimes. Some versions of my resume don't include it so I can expand the remainder of it.

There is age discrimination after 40, and sometimes even younger. Once when I was 30 I didn't get hired at some dot-com company because the staff was all under 25! I think part of fitting-in with some companies is not being really way off in terms of age. It's not fair and I don't like it.

Hey, it could be worse. You could be a bit OLDER and have no degree to omit the date from!

Good luck to you.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:18 AM

536 posts, read 1,686,350 times
If they want to figure out your age they will just look at your application. If you don't have to fill one out I imagine they will find some other way if it is that important.

I leave off my graduation date. To me, the fact that I graduated is more important. And I only go back 10 years for experience. I would only go back more if I needed specific experience from an old job.

I have not seen any indicators of age playing a factor, at least in engineering. Most of my fellow employees are 40+. I am the young one at 36.

If an employer wants 15+ years of experience they don't have much choice do they? Maybe aim a little higher for future jobs. It is difficult if you are 40 and have no experience to fall back on. But it sounds as though you have some.

10 to 15 years xp and you should be looking for more senior positions and/or management. Let your age and XP be an advantage.

My dad is unable to hide his age. Over 30 years at one company makes it difficult

Old 11-29-2011, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,405 times
Can you just omit dates on work history completely? How about listing length of service w/ each company? I read on one resume site that vague dates on employment can be a red flag, however I don't want to give my age away either.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
If you leave the date off most employers will discard your resume, it's a red flag, because if you got the degree you would have given the date, and also because in the verification process the date given on the resume must match the date the college gives.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 3,686,444 times
I had a phone today for a position out of state. The HR person asked me, what year I started college and the duration even though I have my college (and graduate) degrees & dates listed received on my Resume.

I have seen several ads on craigslist that state --- Individuals who graduated college prior to 2000 will not be considered as well as 'individuals with more than 5 years experience' need not apply..

You should not omit or try to hide any information. I put the years only for each position and was told by several recruiters that is big red flag.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,449 times
I found out that there were 2 openings at a new cosmetic and salon franchise when I was shopping there. I was well qualified for both positions and am told I look younger than I am. The manager told me to apply, but after I did, I never heard back. After a while, I learned no one over there is over 25. This makes it hard for me as I was laid off and in my 50s. I really want to work, but it is much more difficult now just to get an interview. I even am trying to start a small business which is a big challenge in itself. I wish more employers would realize the assets an older employee can offer to a company. Hopefully, there are some out there that still do.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,792,431 times
They can still figure it out, and if they have a "no old person" policy, than you won't get in. No tricks will get past this since they'll see you at the on-site interview anyway and trash your application if you're "too old."

Age discrimination can start as young as 30 in some industries - even some STEM fields. I've been on interviews at engineering companies where the total number of people older than 30 could be counted on 1 hand with fingers to spare, and on another occasion, I was flat-out told by the HR rep that they want "engineers with experience, but not too much experience, if you know what I mean."

So, yeah... no good way around it.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
I have seen several ads on craigslist that state --- Individuals who graduated college prior to 2000 will not be considered as well as 'individuals with more than 5 years experience' need not apply...
And I know plenty of others who prefer older, more experienced candidates. If anything I see more discrimination against the young and inexperienced, particularly among large IT contracting companies, like the one I work for. I think most discrimination amongst older workers involves lower skill jobs that require less education and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search