Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 AM

271 posts, read 657,397 times

Advertisements

I'm semi-actively looking for a new job as I really don't like what I'm doing now. I get tired of hearing people say, "Well, at least you have a job." Yes, I have a job so I'm grateful but the pay is so low and the company I work for is very unpleasant I won't be happy until I'm out.

My question is the best way to go about the on-line job search. How to look for and apply for positions that I'm interested in especially since I want to move out of this area but can't really afford to just move without a job waiting for me. (I don't have to if I find the right job...I would just prefer to)

Where to move to? I'm pretty open to most places. I've travelled around and lived in a few places already so I would consider almost anywhere (yes, there are some exceptions).

Ideally, the job would find me but this isn't an ideal world is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 AM

62 posts, read 313,912 times
To be honest Dacx it may be a little unlikely right now that a job will be waiting on you. There are so many people out of work and it is still an employers market, so I cannot imagine them knowingly hiring someone from another state when there are many in that state who are qualified and willing to work. Plus, depending on the job some employers are not going to want to foot the bill for relocation expenses.

If you truly want to relocate then I would suggest using someone's address in the city/state you want to move to. Also, purchase a PRE-PAID phone and get a phone number for that area. This way it really appears as though you are already living there, and employers won't be as reluctant to contact you.

Also, do great research for the area you want to move to. Check out this board to see what the current residents have to say. However, when reading their views/opinions, know that everyone's experiences will be different and yours just might be a lot better than theirs.

Even though this is an absolutely dreadful economy right now, people are still getting jobs somewhere. In two days I will have been unemployed for a full year, but I am still optimistic and believe that God has a great position for me out there and will allow it to manifest within the next 2 weeks. :-)

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM

271 posts, read 657,397 times
Thanks for the input CafeAuLait40

I know the chance of me posting my resume and having a recruiter find me right now is slim to none but, if I find a decent site to post it on I plan on doing it anyway. (Nothing ventured/nothing gained right)

Looking over this forum though I keep coming across posts from people who are looking at relocating because they have found and applied for a job on-line. I'm hoping to hear from some of these people as per their secret.

Last edited by dacx; 12-01-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: wrong word used

Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
For those job boards that allow you to upload a resume, salary and relocation preferences, you obviously you want to check the box that you are willing to relocate. Not every board lets you do this, and that doesn't mean they are a worthless job board, but where ever you can, complete a jobseeker profile. It does get tedious filling out profile wizards, but do it anyway.

There are probably way more job boards than you realize. General job boards that cater to any and all businesses all around the world, and industry-specific job boards that only advertise a very narrow type of job, and location-specific jobs often hosted by city or regional governments. You may want to google terms like "technology jobs" or "seattle jobs" (or whatever pertains to you) and see what job boards are out there. Visit them for a few days and see how many good jobs pop up in search results. You'll probably find that some boards don't really have any decent listings, and you can begin to eliminate them from your search.

Do as much research online as you can about jobs you are applying for in other locations. These things might come up in an interview and showing that you've done your homework will help convince an employer that you are serious about moving. Know what housing costs in the area--look at real estate or rental listings, don't just look at a COL index. Know what commute routes are or what transit options are available. Know what movers and storage will cost. Have a plan in place in case an employer wants you to start next Monday.

You can also use the internet to bypass the job board-middleman and go directly to an employer's website. Sometimes employers have 'hidden' jobs that aren't advertised on job boards or anywhere. But they often have a 'general interest' announcement ('we are always looking for talented and bright individuals....') and an address to send your resume. I have had more success applying for and getting jobs this way than using job boards.

And of course, Google the company you are applying to. Read every tidbit you can about them. Once upon a time such research as tedious and involved a library visit and probably microfiche. Now, with just a few clicks you can read quotes from management in industry publications, about organizational changes published in business journals, peruse every nook and cranny of their website and learn about company culture and benefits--use the internet to your advantage.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
I would advise against the prepaid phone with the area code and local address of friends while you're living and working out of state. It's going to be difficult for you to explain why your current employer is in x state while your info appears that you live in y. ANd if they call your current employer or do a bit of research and find out your game, your resume will end up in the trash. Employers aren't that stupid. Be upfront in your cover letter, saying that although your geographical distance may be offputting, you will interview and relocate at your own expense.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
I would advise against the prepaid phone with the area code and local address of friends while you're living and working out of state. It's going to be difficult for you to explain why your current employer is in x state while your info appears that you live in y. ANd if they call your current employer or do a bit of research and find out your game, your resume will end up in the trash. Employers aren't that stupid. Be upfront in your cover letter, saying that although your geographical distance may be offputting, you will interview and relocate at your own expense.
So instead of stating in your resume "XYZ Corporation, 2007-current" write instead "2007-2009" They won't know you are currently employed in another state.

It is pretty rare for a potential employer to contact your current or past employers before interviewing you and deciding you are a good candidate for the position. Checking background and references are usually the absolute last thing they do before they make an offer. Prior to this, you would have the chance to explain your circumstances in an interview and assure them that you are able to relocate for the job.

I have used a local address and it worked. Of course, I was willing and able and had prepared to leave all of my belongings behind (in storage), start working immediately, and sleep on a friend's sofa until I found my own place. If I hadn't had my friend's sofa, I would have paid to stay at a hotel at my own expense, knowing that would be a huge chunk of my pay, until I found my own place.

If you aren't able to do these things to make the hiring experience for the employer equivalent to hiring a local person, there's not much point in putting a local address on your resume.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,486 times
Online has helped me greatly in turning an empty resume to a good looking one, and that is just starting this summer.

1. My university's job board has landed me 2 gigs.
2. Craigslist has real employers (look for your city), unfortunately, I guess I didn't do good enough in my interviews with the food joints.
3. snagajob.com has a bunch of pointers for low paying jobs.. which I guess you're not looking for
4. I dropped off my resume this summer at a tutoring center, got a call a few weeks later, hired.

monster and careerbuilder I haven't had any success.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
Register with state job services in the area you want to relocate to. Only reply to jobs your a qualified to do. It took 6 months and the willingness to move for me to get an opportunity to relocate. NC to SD is a big move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search