U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,500,377 times

Advertisements

So my resume has 3 jobs on it, one from 2005, one from 2006, one from 07-08, and then there is '09 which is empty.. not because I didn't work or go to school since my last real job but because that work isn't something I want to share on my resume. Mainly because I think employers tend to get references from the last employer which isn't an experience I'm that proud of. How akward is it to have nothing listed during the year of 2009? My resume does indicate that I've also been going to school but it still looks questionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,637,122 times
Why would it look "questionable" if you are showing that you were (are?) going to school??

Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,500,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Why would it look "questionable" if you are showing that you were (are?) going to school??
I haven't shown when I was enrolled in school. It's just listed under education. Maybe it isn't a big deal but I've seen resumes that are over the top and make a mediocre candidate look like god. I don't want to look like a small man next to those.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,229,152 times
I doubt an employer would look twice at it. They will assume you were either in school as your resume suggests, or you were unemployed like seemingly half the country.

If an employer does ask you can tell them that you were working outside the field due to the economy or took a job with less responsibility so that you could focus on your school work. Why wouldn't you want to put the dates that you were in school? That seems crazy.

If this job was relevant to your career and you are wanting to leave it off because of something that happened there, I would reconsider. Most management/HR have policies to only give out dates of employment, compensation, and title. Few if any will comment on your performance reviews, disciplinary action, eligibility for rehire, or anything else pertaining to your actual work.

If you can, ask someone you knew personally at the company to serve as a professional reference for you. It doesn't have to be a manager or supervisor. A peer will do. Someone who can attest to your reliability, punctuality, and dedication. If you are unable to find such a person, I would tell any potential employer who asks that your former employer has a policy preventing current employees from providing references. A lot of companies do this. The only reason I have a professional reference from my last job is that my boss was laid off too, and thus is not subject to my former employer's rules.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM

429 posts, read 999,946 times
Wouldn't it be easier to just submit a cover letter and explain your reasons in that?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Just write student in that time frame and let it go at that. Most won't question it. I took a year off to remodel my house. No one has questioned that yet.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,637,122 times
Re-read your Thread.........you had a job in 2009, but you don't want to show it due to circumstances that happened at that job......correct? How much of 2009 did you go to school? Even with unemployment the way it is, employers may (will?) question an entire year of being unemployed, unless you show schooling for at least part of the year. Some employers do want recent work experience, which can mean less than 6 months out of a job.
"Questionable" is a word that I would describe about part of my resume due to leaving off dates on some things......my age (60).

Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
I can't believe the number of posters who are suggesting you just "fudge" your resume' a little bit. No wonder resume's are often looked at askance by employers. Is it that common?

Be honest. You can never go wrong being honest. Prospective employers are usually not monsters and are human beings who've often been there and done that themselves. Judging by what I see in this thread, if you REALLY want to set yourself apart from other candidates, tell the brutal truth.

And, by the way, having sat on the other side of the desk, I can tell you that at least here in Texas, prospective employers who do a background check on an applicant can only verify the dates of employment and ask whether the company would hire that person again. They cannot ask, and a company cannot tell, WHY a person quit or was discharged, unless they want to get sued.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,229,152 times
stillkit --

you have your own definition of 'fudging' and clearly everyone else has theirs. My definition is fudging is changing information. Omitting irrelevant information is not fudging in my book, nor is it according to any of the career counselor/coach or HR personnel that I have talked to. A resume is supposed to be your 'best foot forward'. It is you marketing yourself, and that means advertising your best and most desirable qualities.

Also, fudging to improve one's apparent qualifications is the problem an employer cares about. In other words, exaggerating. Why would an employer care that you've fudged to diminish your apparent qualifications? If you have more qualifications than they need, that is a total win for an employer.

Stating that you were in school during a period of time when you were, in fact, in school isn't fudging anything.

Omitting something on a job application is a different story. That is, usually,a legally binding document and the applicant should answer everything truthfully and completely. But that is not what this thread is about.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
stillkit --

you have your own definition of 'fudging' and clearly everyone else has theirs. My definition is fudging is changing information. Omitting irrelevant information is not fudging in my book, nor is it according to any of the career counselor/coach or HR personnel that I have talked to. A resume is supposed to be your 'best foot forward'. It is you marketing yourself, and that means advertising your best and most desirable qualities.

Also, fudging to improve one's apparent qualifications is the problem an employer cares about. In other words, exaggerating. Why would an employer care that you've fudged to diminish your apparent qualifications? If you have more qualifications than they need, that is a total win for an employer.

Stating that you were in school during a period of time when you were, in fact, in school isn't fudging anything.

Omitting something on a job application is a different story. That is, usually,a legally binding document and the applicant should answer everything truthfully and completely. But that is not what this thread is about.

To me, there are two kinds of lies: A direct lie and a lie of ommission. Neither is acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or