Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM

271 posts, read 657,524 times

Advertisements

Like several people here I am in search for a job. Unlike some, I'm employed but just hate my job so, I want out.

I am coming across several potential employers that have online applications that I need to fill out. When filling them out, I come across 3 questions that I'm just not sure how to answer. (On the old paper application I might be able to fill it out one way but the online method doesn't allow it) so............

1) When asked if the can contact my current employer, do I say "yes" or "no"? My current employer knows I'm looking for another job but they think I'm looking for a part time job in addition to here instead of in place of here. I also don't have anything to hide but I have fallen out of favor with my supervisor so I feel she'll sabotage my chance to move on.

2) How do I answer why I'm leaving? Never say anything bad about current of former employers. But it's the hostile and negative work environment that has been created here which is why I want to leave (along with the low pay and high stress in addition to the need for a career change)

3) What do I put down for salary requirements/desires? I've been taught to write down "negotiable" because if I give a number that is too high I price myself out of the market, too low I might be giving up money that I could earn. However, some of the applications I've filled out online don't allow for that option and I have to give a number.

Thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
Like several people here I am in search for a job. Unlike some, I'm employed but just hate my job so, I want out.

I am coming across several potential employers that have online applications that I need to fill out. When filling them out, I come across 3 questions that I'm just not sure how to answer. (On the old paper application I might be able to fill it out one way but the online method doesn't allow it) so............

1) When asked if the can contact my current employer, do I say "yes" or "no"? My current employer knows I'm looking for another job but they think I'm looking for a part time job in addition to here instead of in place of here. I also don't have anything to hide but I have fallen out of favor with my supervisor so I feel she'll sabotage my chance to move on.

2) How do I answer why I'm leaving? Never say anything bad about current of former employers. But it's the hostile and negative work environment that has been created here which is why I want to leave (along with the low pay and high stress in addition to the need for a career change)

3) What do I put down for salary requirements/desires? I've been taught to write down "negotiable" because if I give a number that is too high I price myself out of the market, too low I might be giving up money that I could earn. However, some of the applications I've filled out online don't allow for that option and I have to give a number.

Thanks for the feedback
Say "no" if they want to contact your current employer. I think the last thing you want them to do is tip off your employer. They may know you're looking for other jobs, but they don't need to know the extent.

Usually when I answer "why are you leaving your current job", I say something like "I need a change of pace." or "I need a different work environment." It's general but honest.

As for salary requirements, that's up to you. I think negotiable is a good term to use, but they're still going to ask you in your interview what you think you should make. I'm usually honest when it comes to this question, and I ask for the same amount I'm making or slightly more.

Of course you don't have to follow my suggestions. I'm in the same boat as you (have a job but want a change), and all the jobs I've applied for have been dead ends.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post

Thanks for the feedback
1. This is a tricky one. I would put down "no" and if there's a spot available on the online app, state that your employer is not aware of your job search efforts. If there's no spot to explain, maybe insert the explanation in the "duties" field or under "reason for leaving". This is how to creatively handle those situations.
2. As the other poster stated, reasons for leaving: "need a change of pace" or "desire a career change" or "Desire a position with X company (where X = the company you are applying to). Always keep it positive and NEVER discuss the negativity surrounding your current job (I was in the same boat as you back in 2000-2001 and I really feel for what you are going through).
3. If the app is forcing you to state a dollar figure in a field box, I usually find that I can type "negotiable" or place a range (30,000-40,000 etc). The lowest range would be the lowest you are willing to accept and the highest range is the highest that you can expect for the position (keep it realistic though). If there is a multiple choice that actually forces you to select an option, figure out your range and select the option that would meet the mid point. (for 30,000-40,000, maybe select 35,000 or another figure in between the two extremes).

These are some of the tricks I've learned throughout the years when using online apps. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search