Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:31 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I didn't see anything in the article about those people buying what they couldn't afford. What does it matter what someone does with their money as long as they can pay for it? And just because someone had the title "CFO" doesn't mean they were one of those Goldman Sachs types who spent billions of dollars on bad investments.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I didn't see anything in the article about those people buying what they couldn't afford. What does it matter what someone does with their money as long as they can pay for it? And just because someone had the title "CFO" doesn't mean they were one of those Goldman Sachs types who spent billions of dollars on bad investments.
You can't afford "luxury" items if you aren't putting away substantial savings as well, and their savings wasn't nearly what it should have been given their income and ages.

He got six months severence (that's $175K after taxes), had $200K in savings (even if it was $160K after penalties), and $450 a week unemployment and he couldn't make ends meet 16 months later? They were in trouble before he even got laid off, living well beyond their means given taht equation.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Scary article.

For the Unemployed Over 50, Fears of Never Working Again (http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/110742/for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again - broken link)

"Patricia Reid is not in her 70s, an age when many Americans continue to work. She is not even in her 60s. She is 57.

But four years after losing her job she cannot, in her darkest moments, escape a nagging thought: she may never work again.

College educated, with a degree in business administration, she is experienced, having worked for two decades as an internal auditor and analyst at Boeing before losing that job.

But that does not seem to matter, not for her and not for a growing number of people in their 50s and 60s who desperately want or need to work to pay for retirement and who are starting to worry that they may be discarded from the work force — forever."

THE NEW POOR: Articles in this series are examining the struggle to recover from the widespread strains of the Great Recession.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,501 times
They have weird priorities. Why would he get a $150 bag when he's only driving a Volvo SUV? If I'm making 400K per year then I'd probably get a nice BMW M6 first.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Maybe they have an inkling of how us "regular folks" feel now.
Sympathy for them? Pleeeaase. They of ALL people should have been saving loads of $$$, in my humble opinion. It's mean of me, but that's how I feel.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Maybe they have an inkling of how us "regular folks" feel now.
Sympathy for them? Pleeeaase. They of ALL people should have been saving loads of $$$, in my humble opinion. It's mean of me, but that's how I feel.
I feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search