Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,308,148 times

Advertisements

For the first time in her career she has been offered a job that the employer is emailing an offer letter for.

We don't really know what that means, or why that is done. Can someone explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM

41 posts, read 111,757 times
When I moved back from Portland, OR to Colorado, my old company in Colorado fed exed an offer letter. I wasn't going to move until I had that letter in my hand. I think it is a good thing to have. Congrats!!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,833,396 times
I don't know why you find that so strange. I've never accepted a job offer without anything in writing in my entire career. Only thing I could think of is that she's now about to work a middle management level job. It is sent so that the terms of employment are clearly stated in there.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

OK thanks so it's just putting in writing she has gotten the job offer? She is excited to be getting it, although me more than her I think! It's a lot more money and a much better job.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I don't know why you find that so strange. I've never accepted a job offer without anything in writing in my entire career. Only thing I could think of is that she's now about to work a middle management level job. It is sent so that the terms of employment are clearly stated in there.
Yeah every job she's had so far has been entry level. This is a good step up with a growing company in the electronic medical records field. Lots of potential I think (hope).

Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,833,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah every job she's had so far has been entry level. This is a good step up with a growing company in the electronic medical records field. Lots of potential I think (hope).
Well then, there you go!!! Congratulations! Yes, lots of potential...stay with it.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 AM

3,969 posts, read 6,528,620 times
Congrats! I usually get one for each job. Usually it outlines the title of the position, salary, days off, any other benefits, etc. It good to keep and have in case there is any discrepancy down the line.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,628,570 times
Congrats to your wife on the new job.

Offer letters are the norm (maybe with small companies as the exception). It will detail out the terms of the offer such as the start date, official title, salary, number of vacation days, the reporting manager, etc. Some companies will require you to sign a copy and send it back to the company to acknowledge that you received, reviewed, and accepted the offer so there is no confusion in the future about what was discussed/agreed.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,794,567 times
Offer letters are really great to have. It's basically like a contract of what they are offering. I had one at my last job that stated I was working offsite for a period of one year, at which time both myself and the President would evaluate if the arrangemnt was working for both parties. When that President left about 6 months into that, the new President wanted me on site (110 miles away one way). If I had not had that in writing I would have been out of a job 6 months sooner since I couldn't drive that far. Anything they've told her about the job should be in there to cover both you and the company. Congrats to your wife.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
It is very common, almost expected, for people to counter offer - usually for more money - but also for more vacation time, or some other benefit. If done, a note or email to the appropriate person in the company should be sent explaining how the company will benefit by increasing the pay or whatever.

A Sample Job Offer Counter Proposal Letter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search