Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,297 times

Advertisements

So I have a second interview for a job that I really want. I need to talk it out with someone because I am nervous and I do want the job.

The first interview was on the phone Thursday and it went really well. She immediately scheduled the second interview for Monday. The interview was also very thorough. We talked at length for about 50 minutes and she asked some pretty indept questions so I am trying to figure out what else she would want to know about me other than the fact that obviously she has to meet me in person. This is for a fairly entry-level type position in human resources.

I am starting to get really nervous. I've of course already researched the company but what can I do to prepare for the interview tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
More than likely you will meet other people during the interview. Maybe people you would be working directly with or more senior leadership in the company. They may ask you additional questions and they may ask you questions you've already answered.

If they ask you the same questions again it is usually because the other people involved may not share the opinion of the telephone interviewer about what constitutes a 'satisfactory' answer. Obviously body language and your rapport with the people you meet will count for a lot.

Also, remember you are interviewing them--you want to find out what kind of office culture they have, what kind of people you would be working with or reporting to, etc.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Dress your very best. Suit for sure. Get plenty of rest. If time allows, go to a gym and get a good workout prior to the interview. Haircut, Visine (eyes white), clean and trimmed nails. Don't drink coffee right before you walk in - your teeth will be brown. Brush your teeth. Make sure cell phone is off. Be well hydrated but make sure you don't have to hit the restroom right in the middle of the interview.

Visit Glassdoor and maybe I Love My Job - I Hate My Job - Reviews by Employees for interview questions. Google for interview questions on that company too.

Answer every question in terms of how it will benefit the company. Questions such as "What are your weaknesses?" should be an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive "Well, I am behind the curve on the new XYZ database tool; I'm planning on taking that class at ....."

What I've done, if I have a pretty good idea of what they'll ask, is simply write down those questions on individual strips of paper. I then pull them out of jar to try to make it random. I also have a friend perform a mock interview.

Finally, likability is probably number 1 thing to get a job. I have two tests for people. Would I want this guy to be my next door neighbor? Would I want this guy to marry my sister? Think in those terms.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I have no advice but I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you. Good luck!!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,297 times
Thanks for the tips! I have my suit all pressed and ready to go. Was thinking about taking a walk in the morning, interview isn't until 1pm. I've just been a stay at home mom (other than a few part-time gigs) for the last seven years. I just completed a two month temp assignment and besides that interview, this will be the second interview in over ten years for me!!!! So I am a bit out of practice so of course I'm nervous.

So keep sending those good vibes for me tomorrow! I am sure it will go just fine I just want that extra bit of pizazz so that they pick me of course! I do firmly believe I will do a great job but I also am pretty darn sure that there are others more qualified than me, so I really need the likeability factor!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
More than likely you will meet other people during the interview. Maybe people you would be working directly with or more senior leadership in the company. They may ask you additional questions and they may ask you questions you've already answered.

If they ask you the same questions again it is usually because the other people involved may not share the opinion of the telephone interviewer about what constitutes a 'satisfactory' answer. Obviously body language and your rapport with the people you meet will count for a lot.

Also, remember you are interviewing them--you want to find out what kind of office culture they have, what kind of people you would be working with or reporting to, etc.
Have a good question prepared to ask them about the company--something that shows you know what's going on with the company and what they do there. You should be able to get that from Googling business pages and the company website.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM

48 posts, read 144,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
So I have a second interview for a job that I really want. I need to talk it out with someone because I am nervous and I do want the job.

The first interview was on the phone Thursday and it went really well. She immediately scheduled the second interview for Monday. The interview was also very thorough. We talked at length for about 50 minutes and she asked some pretty indept questions so I am trying to figure out what else she would want to know about me other than the fact that obviously she has to meet me in person. This is for a fairly entry-level type position in human resources.

I am starting to get really nervous. I've of course already researched the company but what can I do to prepare for the interview tomorrow!

Did you already research common interview question on the web? Try preparing answers for them. Google Interview Mastermind and read the article “How to Answer The 13 Most Common Interview Questions”. It’s a very informative article, I’m sure it would interest you. You can also sign up for their newsletters and get tips and subliminal tricks so you won’t be seen as just an “ordinary candidate”. Good luck! I hope you’ll get the job!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Answer every question in terms of how it will benefit the company. Questions such as "What are your weaknesses?" should be an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive "Well, I am behind the curve on the new XYZ database tool; I'm planning on taking that class at ....."
TECHNICALLY, your weaknesses should be a positive for the company.

Not saying that this is the WRONG answer, just that there are better answers.

Such as....

workaholic. when they ask how that is bad, you explain that your family life suffers.

deatail obsessive/perfectionist. when they ask how that is bad, you explain that it occasionally takes longer for you to complete your work since you like to assure that everything has to be perfect(this is especially a good answer for positions where details are everything).

Keep in mind that interview coaching was a big part of my job as a recruiter, if my people didn't get hired, I didn't get paid. I also gave interviewing classes at the local job center and a few colleges. So my perspective is a little different than those that haven't been "professional interviewers/interviewees." So not belittling your answer, just trying to improve it a little

Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 58,063 times
Congrats on getting a second interview, this mean they are interested. I am sure you are not the only one who has been asked to come back, so look your best and present your best. I have worked in human resources and always asked the receptionist what they thought of the person coming in after the canidate had left. So always treat the receptionist with as much respect as you treat the person interviewing you, the receptionist without knowing it just may be the person who provides the final deciding factor as to who they will hire.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
TECHNICALLY, your weaknesses should be a positive for the company.

Not saying that this is the WRONG answer, just that there are better answers.

Such as....

workaholic. when they ask how that is bad, you explain that your family life suffers.

deatail obsessive/perfectionist. when they ask how that is bad, you explain that it occasionally takes longer for you to complete your work since you like to assure that everything has to be perfect(this is especially a good answer for positions where details are everything).

Keep in mind that interview coaching was a big part of my job as a recruiter, if my people didn't get hired, I didn't get paid. I also gave interviewing classes at the local job center and a few colleges. So my perspective is a little different than those that haven't been "professional interviewers/interviewees." So not belittling your answer, just trying to improve it a little
I completely disagree with using those weaknesses. People who let their family life settle either burn out of end up with all the drama that goes with a divorce. Neither is good for a career.

We just fired a guy for taking forever to get anything done because he crossed the line between doing a good job and being an obsessive perfectionist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search