Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to handle a question you do not know how to answser? What do you say? Do you fake it? How do you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Does anyone know how to handle a question you do not know how to answser? What do you say? Do you fake it? How do you handle it?
It depends.

Is it something you would be expected to know how to answer?

Faking it can be bad unless it's a general kind of question that wouldn't have a specific answer. If there's a piece of information contained in the answer that reveals technical knowledge, definitely don't make up an answer because that will be worse than admitting you aren't familiar with that. Then you can say you're heard of it but never used it in your workplace before.

If it's about where you plan to be in 5 years, fake it -- you can say you're open to where your career leads you or whatever.

Sometimes you get asked specific kinds of questions so they can get a sense of what you actually know but sometimes you get asked general kinds of questions with no right or wrong answer because they are trying to get a sense of what you are about or because they read somewhere it's a good question to ask.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
If you don't understand the question, it is okay to ask for clarification. In fact, it is often good to summarize and repeat the question back to them before starting in on your answer. That way you can confirm that you have been listening attentively and are about to provide the right answer, before you give them a five minute spiel about something else.

If you don't know how to answer because the question seems inappropriate, you should politely decline. That is, if they ask if you own a home or are a renter and you don't feel your financial decisions are any of their business, you can simply say you do not wish to divulge that information but you have lived in your home for five years or something and have no plans to move

Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
It depends what they ask.
There is nothing wrong with saying, "I honestly don't know." if you don't know something.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I will never forget the curve ball question that was asked and I was speechless

"what would you say the least important part of this position is?

Never saw that one coming

Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Are you referring to technicals skill questions or situational/behavioral questions?

If you don't know the answer to a technical skills question I would simply say that is a very good question and something I will have to investigate further, but right now I don't have a response I would feel comfortable giving (or something like that).

If it is a what would you do if...or tell me about a time when...and you are just drawing a blank it is ok to ask for a minute or two to compose a good response.

With those types of interviews (situational/behavioral) I always come in with 4-5 critical incidents in previous jobs that are malleable to any of those types of questions.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,432 times
Well technically you should have an answer for everything. If you don't have a good answer, that is another thing entirely. Preparation for the top questions is a good idea. If you find yourself a "deer in the headlights", don't hold that pose for too long. If it's a deliberately wacky question, you can ask to come back to that question. However, in organizations that are known for doing that, might not be winning move. Otherwise, not sure how you'd fake something if you don't really know. That could create more issues if they follow-up with "ok, tell us how you'd do that." Then you're compounding the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search