Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I was given the chance to ask questions, and I asked a few, and then they took the lead and wrapped it up, so I followed their lead and did not ask anymore questions.

They did give me their email addresses though, and they said if I had anymore questions, I could email (one of them).
I had an interview exactly like this earlier today. As you say in a later post, "time to write some thank you letters", it may tip you over the edge. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I had a really short interview this week, but it seemed to go well. They had a list of questions that they asked, and it was over in less than 15 minutes.

Any opinions or experiences with short interviews? Do you think they mean something good, bad, or could go either way?

I think they still have a few more interviews to go, if that factors in at all. They are also probably very busy.

Thanks!
IMO a 15 min interview is only fine if it's a 3rd interview. 15 min for a an 1st interview is not a good sign.

Either they already have who they or were not impressed.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've found that often they will do a short interview the first time around to immediately weed out those that seem better on paper than in "real life." Then they bring back the ones that they are interested in after that first interview for a more indepth interview.

So I'd say you still ahve a decent chance. Good luck!
Thanks for the positive thoughts. Hopefully you are right (and even if you are not, at least I'll have a few days of thinking a job is coming.....lol!).

It was a first round panel, with pre-planned questions, so maybe all of their interviews were the same length. Also, they had not figured out their next steps yet (2nd interview, etc.), and they asked for references as part of the application process.

Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I had an interview exactly like this earlier today. As you say in a later post, "time to write some thank you letters", it may tip you over the edge. Good luck!
Well good luck to you then! Feel free to keep me posted once you find out how your interview went.

As a side note, I had an interview with a different company today (second interview), and I believe that it was my thank you letter that got me in, as they commented on my letter (and this interview was not too short, but it did not seem to go very well......sigh....).

Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,093 times
I hear people having really long interviews and I really don't get it. In the few interviews I have had they have all lasted 15 to 20 mins. Exactly why do they need more time then this to find out if your a match for a job. I really hate the whole new interview process. It was so much better back when they didn't ask stupid questions and only asked you about your technical knowledge of the job. Now they come at you with stuff that means nothing to the job. I know some might not agree with me but I think the whole interview process is a joke today 2 and 3 interviews before they offer the job or not. Give me a break.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
Quote:
I hear people having really long interviews and I really don't get it. In the few interviews I have had they have all lasted 15 to 20 mins. Exactly why do they need more time then this to find out if your a match for a job. I really hate the whole new interview process. It was so much better back when they didn't ask stupid questions and only asked you about your technical knowledge of the job. Now they come at you with stuff that means nothing to the job. I know some might not agree with me but I think the whole interview process is a joke today 2 and 3 interviews before they offer the job or not. Give me a break.
It really depends on the job. I work in a creative profession and in an interview I have to not only answer their questions but present my portfolio and explain all of my design abilities and project involvement. That takes time, and it is rare that I have an interview that lasts less than an hour.

But I agree, unless you are interviewing for an extremely high-level position, a skilled interviewer/hiring manager should be able to make a decision after one or two interviews. It shouldn't be a lengthy vetting process. I was recently called for an interview from a firm that told me they had four rounds of interviews plus required that you retake the primary professional exam before they made a decision. The exam fees were at your own expense of course--nearly $1k. I just took the exam last year so I don't really think I need to prove myself again! I of course pretended to be okay, and even thrilled, with the prospect of their hiring procedure. But in reality I was happy to have been excluded in round three.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
All my interviews last year were at least 30 minutes (didn't get any of them). I've had ones as long as almost an hour.

I have to say the longer they sit with you, the more you think "I've got it!"

Hang in there and keep looking. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Some of the longest interviews I've had there was no way I was getting the job. I really wasn't qualified, and I'm not sure why they brought me in. I chocked it up to unprepared or unskilled interviewers who just had no idea what they were doing.

Unless it's a very high level E-Band job, I think that the average interview can be accomplished in 30 minutes or less--and that includes a technical/creative interview. (I've been on both.)

Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
This has already been said, but I will chime in anyway.

I think short does not mean bad, as long as it isn't your only interview. When interviewing for the job I have now, my first two interviews were under 30 minutes, but my third interview took six hours, and that is where they really tested me to see if I could do the job.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,379,678 times
Most of my interviews from the past year were on average 45-60 mins. I've had a few that were less than 20 mins and I got the feeling they were not interested the moment I walked in the door.

So I dunno. Depends I guess but I havne't gotten good vibes from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search