Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

There are things that was never discussed during the interview process that is apart of my job description now and I didn't make a big deal about it because I just felt it was better than being unemployed. But It was never mentioned that I had to TRAVEL and do a lot of PUBLIC SPEAKING but I just adapated to it and took on the challenge.

Some girl who just started two weeks ago didn't know that the job requires public speaking and she is very scared that she has a presentation in 3 weeks because she is very shy. She said it was never mentioned in the interview and can't get her upcoming presentation out her mind.

Anyone experience starting a job and finding out about a HIDDEN RESPONSIBILITY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM

160 posts, read 530,900 times
Yeah, I took on a sales position, and was told all I had todo was service existing customers, and the company would provide me with a certain number of new customers per week. The company has provided some new customers, but my boss says the growth % is not enough, so we're cold calling and warm dooring now.......I feel like a telemarketer.........Which is something I said I would never do.

But the money is pretty good, and I'm starting to get good at attracting new business.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Most job descriptions include the verbiage "other tasks as necessary". This is how employers cover their a_s_s.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
Yeah, I took on a sales position, and was told all I had todo was service existing customers, and the company would provide me with a certain number of new customers per week. The company has provided some new customers, but my boss says the growth % is not enough, so we're cold calling and warm dooring now.......I feel like a telemarketer.........Which is something I said I would never do.

But the money is pretty good, and I'm starting to get good at attracting new business.

Yeah I was always trying to avoid job postings when I was unemployed that mentioned traveling and public speaking and ended up doing both anyway-lol

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
I think for most professional jobs, it is impossible for the employer to itemize every single task you may need to perform over the course of their employment.

Also, most employers assume you have done your homework adequately about the job. You should know what different kinds of jobs in your field require. And you have researched the company enough to know what kinds of work they do, what markets they are in, and their organizational structure. If they have offices all over the globe, you can safely assume that at least some people will be traveling occasionally. And if the company has a fairly flat org structure, then it is quite likely that you will be doing a lot of your own administrative tasks.

And no employer can predict the future. They shouldn't have to spell this out for you. They can't predict that business will change and they'll have to restructure. Much better to have an employer that takes the time to figure out how to include you in that restructuring, than to simply lay you off!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think for most professional jobs, it is impossible for the employer to itemize every single task you may need to perform over the course of their employment.

Also, most employers assume you have done your homework adequately about the job. You should know what different kinds of jobs in your field require. And you have researched the company enough to know what kinds of work they do, what markets they are in, and their organizational structure. If they have offices all over the globe, you can safely assume that at least some people will be traveling occasionally. And if the company has a fairly flat org structure, then it is quite likely that you will be doing a lot of your own administrative tasks.

And no employer can predict the future. They shouldn't have to spell this out for you. They can't predict that business will change and they'll have to restructure. Much better to have an employer that takes the time to figure out how to include you in that restructuring, than to simply lay you off!

I guess since public speaking is a main part of the job, i think they should have mentioned it at some point during the interview. That new girl is so scared and feels that she will not do well. Now the traveling part was something that they didn't have to mention but defintely the public speaking.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Look at it this way, you are taking on more responsibility. That can help you when you get your next job.

Many people cannot travel for work or just want to punch a clock. You can be that much more ahead of others.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
I guess since public speaking is a main part of the job, i think they should have mentioned it at some point during the interview.
If it is one of the primary duties of the job, how could you have not known that when you applied for the job? It should have been obvious to you when you read the job ad, before you even applied, let alone went to the interview.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Look at it this way, you are taking on more responsibility. That can help you when you get your next job.

Many people cannot travel for work or just want to punch a clock. You can be that much more ahead of others.
That's how I started looking at it and have become much better at public speaking. I just remember not being able to sleep the night before my first presentation but now I have the hang of it.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If it is one of the primary duties of the job, how could you have not known that when you applied for the job? It should have been obvious to you when you read the job ad, before you even applied, let alone went to the interview.
It was in the job ad what happened was I overlooked it and didn't see it until I was hired. It was in the middle of the job description not the beginning or end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search