Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Where on earth do you work that family and friends qualify as references? So not legit in my world. Plus professors from 2 years ago won't have a thing to say about me.

I can provide references. So far the job in question seems to be pretty understanding...

I would just prefer to provide some sort of current reference to atest to my abilities in my first 'real' job post-grad.

Didn't you just say you HAVE NO REFERENCES????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Didn't you just say you HAVE NO REFERENCES????????

Um, no actually I didn't.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
I would just prefer to provide some sort of current reference to atest to my abilities in my first 'real' job post-grad.
Well if you don't burn any bridges, you may be able to maintain relationships with your employer and use them for the next job search.

Also, if you don't have a LinkedIn account, you might want to create one, and solicit recommendations from a diverse array of 'connections'--fellow students, professors, clients, vendors, colleagues, etc. This way, you can get recommendations on the record, without necessarily revealing that the purpose for them is because you are looking for another job.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Okay so I am currently employed. But am actively searching for and applying for jobs. For no other reason than I want to leave my current job (I don't have a good excuse like moving for a spouse, ect.).

So my question is, how do I handle listing references? For obvious reasons I can't list anyone from my current employer, but I'm certainly not omitting them for any reason (I think anyone there would give me a great reference).

How understanding are employers of this type of situation?

Should I try and find someone from the workplace (who isn't a supervisor/manager type) that I trust to keep this secret and list them?

Thoughts? Personal expereinces?
I assume you know this but just in case. Never, ever, under any circumstances offer references until asked. A good rule to live by is that a reference can never help you and only hurt you.

In the past I have asked for references from the people I was working with at the time. I asked them in confidence. Have know idea if they told anyone or not. I asked people I worked with. Not my boss. And they were all in different departments but knew my work.

I've also found that most companies don't do reference checks. Even if they ask for them.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Maybe you can let your employer know your looking for a second job...part time only. If you just explained to them in a nice and reasonable manner do you think they'd be ok with it?
I use my current employer all the time, but they know I do not plan on leaving, just need to supplement my lousy income!
Or lie-tell the prospective employer not to reveal it is for a job-then tell your current employer it's for a volunteer program.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Maybe you can let your employer know your looking for a second job...part time only. If you just explained to them in a nice and reasonable manner do you think they'd be ok with it?
I use my current employer all the time, but they know I do not plan on leaving, just need to supplement my lousy income!
Or lie-tell the prospective employer not to reveal it is for a job-then tell your current employer it's for a volunteer program.
Good ideas - but based on the company I'm applying to, my current employer would know that I would be leaving.

And yes, I never offer references unless asked for. I'm just planning ahead - hoping I get to the point where they do require references! And in my field, I'm fairly sure they actually DOcheck references.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM

247 posts, read 751,265 times
I've wondered this too. I'm in my first post-grad job & I'm looking into other jobs & I don't know who to list as a reference because my professors from 3 years ago don't know me anymore & if I tell anyone at work gossip would run havoc

Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I've wondered this too. I'm in my first post-grad job & I'm looking into other jobs & I don't know who to list as a reference because my professors from 3 years ago don't know me anymore & if I tell anyone at work gossip would run havoc
Glad I'm not the only one. There has to be some protocol for this situation. Not everyone leaves on good terms (moving for some other reason, ect) and I'm certainly not trying to pre-empt a termination or anything (my current employer probably doesn't want to lose me).....so I'm somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure I would have good references, but potential employers don't necessarily know that. At the same time, I would imagine they have hired people in this situtation before...

Such a dilemma. I'll keep you posted as I see this one through.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Here's a fun update: they didn't even ASK for references. First interview they said: we can get them next time. Second interview...offerred me a job. Never even asked me for references to pretend like they were going to check them.

I guess that's one way of getting around the current job reference dilemma....

Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
Here's a fun update: they didn't even ASK for references. First interview they said: we can get them next time. Second interview...offerred me a job. Never even asked me for references to pretend like they were going to check them.

I guess that's one way of getting around the current job reference dilemma....
Glad it worked out for you!

Fortunately a lot of employers don't ask for references, since most references are only going to spin you in the most positive light anyway.

If you accept the offer, try to strengthen any bridges you have at your current employer before you leave. They could be useful in the future, even if not as an official reference or if you are changing jobs. You never know what might be useful in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search